First day with my 12-24 DX (warning large post)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by manzico, Oct 17, 2005.

1. I love this lens. I'm still getting used to it. I can see that I'm only just scratching the surface of what I can do it. I took some test shots indoors late Thursday night when it arrived. They were just test shots, but they showed me how I could put the dramatic wide angle perspective achievable with this lens to work. I figured for my first official time out shooting with the new lens I would go for the sweeping vistas thing so I headed up Mt. Lemmon to Windy Point. I don't have a polarizer that will fit it yet (on the way although at 12mm I don't know how much it will help), and I don't have any split ND filters either (Cokin P mount and Singh-Ray ND filters on order thanks to the advice of John, Mike, and Dave) so I had to put HDR and my blended exposure techniques through their paces in PP. Here's some of what I got:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

And here are some shots I took with my 70-300 because I just couldn't help it:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Sorry about the large post, but I figured "what the heck".

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Isn't Mt. Lemmon the coolest place? I usually can't get anyone to go up there with me, cause it's such a long drive from Phoenix, but it's the closest 'alpine' microclime around here. Your first few, with the light beams on Tucson are very nice - they work well with your new lens.

A couple of the later pictures show some wood against the sky. I prefer the color versions of these. I know wood in B&W is a classic composition, but they are soo colorful that they deserve to be seen that way. Great shots!

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nice job. I'm impressed by the HDR work.

4. David it's a great lens that will lead your view to new dimensions!

Just watch for the focusing issue/procedure -also mentioned on the manual :wink:

5. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Man oh man, I am jealous. I was craving one of those lenses and now seeing your photos causes my drool pile to grow.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Dave
    you are a goner, these are great. next thing you know panoramics. boy are wer in for some LARGE posts............
    :^)

7. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Great shots, Dave

I really like the wood shots in color.

8. focusing procedure?

Panos,

I didn't notice the focusing procedure (actually I was so excited I didn't look at the manual). I'm going to the closet and pulling out the box right now to read the manual. Thanks for the tip. And thank you all for the nice comments. I know what some of you mean about the wood/sky pics. I intended to do them in b&w which I did do, but I also really liked the shot in color too, that's why I included it as well. I'm glad you liked it.

Dave