first day with my new D2x and a 70-200mm VR lens

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 7361

View attachment 7362

View attachment 7363

View attachment 7364

View attachment 7365

View attachment 7366

Scott,

You poor, poor guy. I can see now that you are gong to run into real trouble with computer disk space, and excess usage of photographic print paper. :roll:

Looks like I'm going to have to take that thing off of your hands. I'll give you $2,500 for it. :lol: :p 8)

Very nice shots. :wink:

Frank

Hi Scott,
Wow, your lighting situation for those pictures was treacherous!

I probably would have packed up my camera with that kind of light...Know you took it as a challenge to see what the X could do and you certainly did a good job.. very nice pictures with very tough lighting.

Gaye

OOOOOOOOHHHHH MYYYYYYY God! You guys are way too kind.

I just looked at these for the first time on my home computer. they look awful! I was at work and did a bit of editing on my 12 inch laptop. On the laptop which is not calibrated they looked about right. Now that I look at them on my large 23" Apple monitor, they look awful. I have to scoot off to work shortly so I won't be able to do anything with them. I am off tommorrow and will fix them and repost them. Please come back tommorrow evening and check it again.

I am a bit embarrassed. I had no idea they would look like this. I am happy at least that I learned never to post from my laptop.

Thanks for your understanding and encouraging posts. I am shocked by this post.

Stay tuned for part two of my first day with my new D2x...

Oh my!!!

Tought shooting condtions Scott but they look a little under exposed to me, hoep you get some better light oppurtunites to check out the X later

Scott,

I agree with Mike.

They do look a bit underexposed in my opinion as well but we will forgive you since you tweaked them on 12" laptop :) (jk).

Well done Scott. Conditions were not the best and you pulled it off.

Please do me a favor and leave originals as well. I'm interested to see how big of a difference your calibrated monitor will make. Thanks !

This should prove to be an interesting learning experience for me. I was chimping (hate that term) and it seemed that the images were a bit light (overexposed) at 00 EV correction. I kind of doubted that this was correct because as you can see, the scenes I was shooting were severly contrasty with dark shadow and bright light conflicting. I did not trust the camera meter and instead underexposed most of my images by setting the ev correction to -.07 to -.10 or greater. When I did this the LCD showed what appeared to be a nicely exposed image.

One problem is that I was chimping in daylight under the shade of a tree but still brightly lit ambient lighting which made it difficult.

I will go out tommorrow and test some more. One thing I learned is that this is no D1x. I was pretty comfortable with that camera and got good results without chimping. I need to build confidence in my instincts for setting camera controls with cameras ability. So many choices in settings compared to the D1x.

Just wanted to share my experience in hope that it may help some of you also new to this marvelous contraption. Tommorrow, I will re-examine the images I posted above to see if I can salvage them. These shots are in my opinion sub par. I don't blame the camera however. It is me that needs a few adjustments.

Hey Backdoctor can you tweek my instincts for me? :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom