first day with the 500mm/f4

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Jun 22, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

Having bought Gordon's 500mm I gave it a try today at the Viera Wetlands. At first the birds were too close

25828319-L.

I had to shoot this hawk handheld
    25828322-L.

An osprey landed in a tree in the middle of the cell
    25828320-L.

later he moved to the regular spot and I was able to shoot at a shorter distance
    25828318-L.

25828323-L.

25828324-L.

I think I'll keep the lens. :D

2. WOw first congrats on the new lens you are all setup now. Great shots...hey that tree looks awful familar for sure cant wait to see mote from you and your new lens

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice 1st outing indeed!

You did a fine job on these, Harry. You're a lot steadier than me to handhold @700mm. You had the TC 1.4 attached too? What does "in the middle of the Cell" mean? Hope we can hook up sometime while I'm down there, from Nov to May.

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Mike. That was our regular tree where all the best raptors hang out.

Now I have to upgrade my tripod and head. It never stops. :lol:

5. I just got the markins M20 head and sidekick and ordered a 1325 gitzo pod. With the monster you have you might need the full Wimberly head

6. All beautiful shots!!!!, congrats on the new lens!!! is this the nikon or sigma? I just picked up the gitzo 1340 and wimberly sidekick with B1 ball, hope to try it out tomorrow ;-)

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    holey *&^%&$^$^#@@#$%

uP CLOSE AND PERSONAL, OR WHAT..

Good for you....

Great stuff Harry.

Wanna go to gatorland this weekend ???

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Re: Nice 1st outing indeed!

Hey Steve,

I was using the 1.4 Tc with the 500mm today and they are a fine combo! The ponds in the wetlands are called cells.

You are coming down at the peak of the birding season. The weather is great and the bird life is at its peak. We will definitely have to hook-up when you come down.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    [/quote]
    I just got the markins M20 head and sidekick and ordered a 1325 gitzo pod. With the monster you have you might need the full Wimberly head[/quote]

Yeah, thats what I was thinking also.

10. Not a bad start, in fact pretty damn impressive!! Welcome to the club!

11. Harry,

Nice captures, all! That lens looks like a great investment! Looking forward to lots more form it. :)

Thanks for sharing.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Holy Cow Harry!! I didn't know that you were looking at a 500. These shots are fantastic!! I don't think I've ever seen anyone adapt to that lens any faster than you have. Who did you get it from?

Can't wait to see more.

You lucky dog. 8)

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Harry

I shoot my 500 plus TC on a Wimberly sidekick all of the time. I actually tried a full Wimberly but found it less flexible than the sidekick as far as capturing flight shots is concerned? Also, as I can easily remove the sidekick and still have my markins head available to mount the camera directly on for landscape shots, it offers more flexibility...for me anyways.

14. Congrats, Harry! I remember you talking to Gordon about the lens, glad to see you got it worked out. Great shots. Especially love the Osprey close-ups.

15. the third picture look like an airplane ready to land.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Keith. I got the Nikon 500mm. Good luck with your sidekick.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Gale. Give me a buzz on the electical telephone about Gatorland and this weekend.

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
  19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks. Now all I need is a sherpa to carry this lens around for me. :lol: