first day with the 500mm/f4

Nikam said:
Harry,

Nice captures, all! That lens looks like a great investment! Looking forward to lots more form it. :)

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Dennis. I can pretty much gurantee you some more shots from it. :D

Flew said:
Holy Cow Harry!! I didn't know that you were looking at a 500. These shots are fantastic!! I don't think I've ever seen anyone adapt to that lens any faster than you have. Who did you get it from?

Can't wait to see more.

You lucky dog. 8)
Hey Frank,

Thanks. I better adapt to the lens after all the $ I spent. If I don't Linda will have my hide. :lol:

I got it from Gordon.

Hi Harry

Awsome Harry you know Harry you could make a lot of money off that tree and a few friendly bets. btw I have a lens cover of yours in the car Ill bring it up next time.

Hey, great shots! Congrats on the new bazooka. Can you let Linda talk to Mary, you're doing much better than I am. Looks like I'll be the only one not buying new glass in our group. :cry:

I am saving up though :)

Super shots Harry and congrats on the lens. After 2 and 1/2 years I love mine as much as day 1!!

Enjoy it and keep up the good work!!!

Re: Harry

jfenton said:
I shoot my 500 plus TC on a Wimberly sidekick all of the time. I actually tried a full Wimberly but found it less flexible than the sidekick as far as capturing flight shots is concerned? Also, as I can easily remove the sidekick and still have my markins head available to mount the camera directly on for landscape shots, it offers more flexibility...for me anyways.
Thanks for the info Jim. When I get the $ to upgrade my tripod setup I'll be bothering you with a lot of dumb questions.

Kevin Scott said:
Congrats, Harry! I remember you talking to Gordon about the lens, glad to see you got it worked out. Great shots. Especially love the Osprey close-ups.
Thanks Kevin. It was a fortunate happenstance when Godron and I met. I wanted a 500mm and he just happened to have decided to sell his and go with his 200-400 lens.

Re: Hi Harry

huskey8 said:
Awsome Harry you know Harry you could make a lot of money off that tree and a few friendly bets. btw I have a lens cover of yours in the car Ill bring it up next time.
Hey Richard,

Great hearing from ya. I could make money just by taking folks to that tree. :lol:

Backdoctor said:
Hey, great shots! Congrats on the new bazooka. Can you let Linda talk to Mary, you're doing much better than I am. Looks like I'll be the only one not buying new glass in our group. :cry:

I am saving up though :)
It was kind of easy. I just told Linda that we both knew that I would be getting that lens sooner or later. I then told her how much we could save by getting it used plus to get it used from some one we could trust was a big bonus. She alos knew that I would pout and act childish for weeks if I didn't get it. :lol:

G

Gordon Large

Hey Harry -

Great start with your new bazooka! I look forward to seeing your results after you've had some practice with it. I can't believe that you shot hand held! You're going to get conflicting advice on this, but I strongly recomment the full Wimberley for a lens that size. I can't tell you how many times I almost dropped that sucker while mounting or balancing it on a Sidekick. Thanks to Wimberley's great "try it before you buy it" policy I got the big Wimberley and I felt sooooo much more secure with a horizontal mounting base.

Good shooting!

Gordon

You must be one lucky person. I bet that lens is a real treat to use. Wish i had such a birds near my home. Great captures can't wait to see more photo's in the near future again. And like you said every time you buy some new gear you find out that you need to upgrade other gear. I am in need for some good monopod so i keep my eyes open what is some nice monopod.

B

bfjr

Hi Harry
Since I'll be shooting the D2hs soon :wink:
Thought I'd join in the fun
As I have said before
Pristine work
My 1st post here is to you, will I ever live it down :lol: :lol:

Hello Harry we found you ,great shots and that lens found a good home as i hope did your old one :lol: i am going to look around

Gordon Large said:
Hey Harry -

Great start with your new bazooka! I look forward to seeing your results after you've had some practice with it. I can't believe that you shot hand held! You're going to get conflicting advice on this, but I strongly recomment the full Wimberley for a lens that size. I can't tell you how many times I almost dropped that sucker while mounting or balancing it on a Sidekick. Thanks to Wimberley's great "try it before you buy it" policy I got the big Wimberley and I felt sooooo much more secure with a horizontal mounting base.

Good shooting!

Gordon
Thanks Gordon. I'm going back and forth between the Wimberlys. Fortunately I don't have to decide yet. I have to give Linda a decompression period before I tell her that I want to spend more $ on photography. :lol:

vincebeus said:
You must be one lucky person. I bet that lens is a real treat to use. Wish i had such a birds near my home. Great captures can't wait to see more photo's in the near future again. And like you said every time you buy some new gear you find out that you need to upgrade other gear. I am in need for some good monopod so i keep my eyes open what is some nice monopod.
Thanks Vince. I am very lucky to be living in bird central. Good luck finding a monopod.

bfjr said:
Hi Harry
Since I'll be shooting the D2hs soon :wink:
Thought I'd join in the fun
As I have said before
Pristine work
My 1st post here is to you, will I ever live it down :lol: :lol:
There goes the neighborhood. :lol:

Hiya Ben its good seeing you and Jeff over here.

JWEAR said:
Hello Harry we found you ,great shots and that lens found a good home as i hope did your old one :lol: i am going to look around
Thanks Jeff. Looking at some of your recent shots over a Dgrin I would say that you were doing pretty good with my old 300mm.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom