First days of June: Dragons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hello all!

I spend three days in different locations shooting Odonata. I saw thousands of them, especially when I visited at my parents summer cottage. Thousands!

Here´s some Dragons I shot during my visit at the summer cottage. Shot with 300mm AF-S, with or without Nikon PN-11 tube, I also used tripod.

Male Cordulia aenea
    020607-44.

Male Libellula quadrimaculata
    020607-42.

Female Cordulia aenea
    020607-45.

Female Cordulia aenea
    020607-46.

Male Leucorrhinia rubicunda
    020607-47.

Male Libellula quadrimaculata
    020607-48.

Female Libellula quadrimaculata (On the background a Cordulia aenea which failed to emergence)
    020607-50.

Female Libellula quadrimaculata
    020607-51.

Male Cordulia aenea
    020607-53.

Cordulia aenea pair mating
    020607-54.

Emerging Cordulia aenea
    020607-55.

Thanks for looking! :smile:

2. It looks as though you are going to have a really good year.

Thanks for posting this lot.

Bob F.

3. Hello, Bob!

Yep, we have had a great start here. As soon as first species appeared we have got very nice warm weather, so every day the list of species flying is growing... Wonderful!

I have already been able to shoot 6 new species for me this season and ofcourse the most significant is Epitheca bimaculata I shot last friday here in Helsinki. It´s a rare one... It was a bit of a shock where it was found...

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful work

5. Thanks, Gale! :smile:

6. Great series!!

7. Thanks, Jan! :smile:

8. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    very nice serie. Like the ones with the even backgrounds best. Here in the Netherlands they haven't show up yet. Soo plz share more. ;)

cheers, Mark

9. Excellent shots Jukka.

How do you find using the 300mm? Is it better than a 180mm macro lens? Having seen these and the wonderful stuff that Ronnie Gaubert shoots I am wondering whether a 300mm would be a great addition.

Cheers

Alex

10. Thanks, Mark! :smile:

I passed your words today our dragons & damsels to hurry their cousins in Netherlands...:smile:

There´s some goodies coming later today :wink:

11. Thanks, Alex! :smile:

I love the 300mm. I use it now with Nikon PN-11 + PK-13 tubes when shooting damsels and without when shooting dragons... well, I think I have shot also dragons with the tubes as "they happened to be there" :smile:

It´s basically the matter of working distance. It´s about 1-2m/3.3-6.6ft dependind wheter shooting damsels or dragons. I have also Sigma 150mm but I don´t use it much, it often feels too short.

So, I can fully recommend it... or better yet, look at Ronnie´s masterful shots once again, that´s enough for a sale talk :biggrin:

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Holy smokes Jukka. You had a busy day. Can imagine how fun it must have been. Those are great images and a lot of different kinds of Odonatas. Usually I only see about 2-4 different kinds in one area. This weekend I spent an hour by my usual lake. Did not see a single dragon- or damselfly. I don't know why they are so late this year. You should think the opposite with the warm spring.

Again great series. Can't wait to see more from you.

13. Nice work! A sharp prime really picks these little guys up!

14. Sublime, absolutely sublime, I pray that one day I can take a photo as good as any one of these.

15. Tak, Torben! :smile:

Yep, it was lot of fun, you know it was long wait through the winter...

That´s strange there isn´t any. Was the lake tried last summer? Hopefully you got some there soon!

Thanks, Dave! :smile:
    It´s a fantastic lens!

Thanks, Anthony! :smile:

Well, it´s not that difficult really. Just some practise... and luck! :wink:

16. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Yes, it was almost dried out last summer. I went down there again today as the weather was very nice and warm. I did see some but they were so far away into the water that I couldn't get a decent shot.

17. Oh Jukka, now you have got me lusting even more for the AFS 300 :wink:

I have the 180mm Sigma but I miss not being able to handhold like my Tamron 90mm. I might have to dig that out of the cupboard for when tripods are a no go. Tonight I was considering changing my 180mm for the 150mm just for a little less bulk in the bag but now I am not sure it's worth the effort.

Another problem if I get the 300mm is that I would need a bigger bag, stronger tripod and head, gym membership to prepare me for using it.....:biggrin:

Thanks again and keep up the great shootin.

Alex

18. Very nice Jukka. I can't imagine having thousands of dragons to shoot. Of these species only Libellula quadrimaculata is common in northern England.

Alan