First Experience Shooting Sports (Roller Derby)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by atoronto, Jul 4, 2008.

1. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Here is my experience shooting Roller Derby Competition with D300 and the 70-200, mostly without flash, looks like lots of blurry photos (not too sharp) is it maybe the SS is too slow, I already bump the ISO to 2000 mostly, should I use the flash to bump the shutter speed to maximum of 250? Anyone has these experience? please your comments. Thanks for looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/siauwphotography/sets/72157605786293040/

2. RichNY

RichNY Guest

The 1/125 shutter speed is the problem for most of the images I viewed.

I run into this type of crummy lighting whenever shooting youth hockey. Definitely bump the ISO up to 3200- you can clean up the noise in PP but can't fix the motion blur. This alone will help but not have given you tack sharp images- with this lighting you definitely needed faster glass.

My solution was a 200 f/2, but it looks like for these images you would have wanted to be shooting even faster to get up to the right shutter speed to stop motion. Moving closer and using something like the 85 f/1.4 and a bit of cropping might have worked better.

3. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Thanks for your suggestions shooting this kind of sports, maybe I will try use the ISO 3200 next time, I can't afford to get the 200 f/2, or maybe I'll wait for the D700 so I can use higher ISO with cleaner image. You think 85 f/1.4 the AF is fast enough in the dim light?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.