First few photos from my 105mm DC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by chamster, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Please comment on my first few photos of our baby taken by 105DC on D3. Photoshop used only to crop.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Cute!

They are both overexposed though, what metering did you use ?

Kindest

3. cute family
    the odd yellow cast in image #2
    - right neck and side of face
    - both armpits

very odd
    i wonder from where that came

4. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    ...the Red channel blew out on the skin in several spots. I've seen this many times and can spot it pretty easily now...

Sean

5. I agree, cute shots but both are pretty badly blown out.

6. Matrix metering. I think I used flash (Slow Sync).

7. Hi Sean, many thanks for the comments. I am new to digital photography, how could we fix this from happening again?

8. Thanks for the comments so far. I need all the help & tips as I am new to digital photography. I still haven't even read my D3 manual fully!!!

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chaminda :

I see you stopped down a bit to f/2.8, which was a wise move with the shallow Depth-Of-Field (DOF) with the 105mm DC. However, with such a shallow DOF, a key element to making this lens sing for you is to always focus on the eyes of the subject (in this case your lovely baby), and to ensure that the eyes are in the same focal plane.

You know that old line about how "the eyes are the pathway to the soul" ? Well, in shooting the 105mm DC, or any fast glass like the 85mm f/1.4, the eyes are the key to successful photography. If the eyes are well focused, the image will resonate with the viewers.

Now, if the eyes are on a tilted plane relative to the camera, stop down a bit more, perhaps to f/4, and keep them focused. After you've shot with the lens for a relatively short time, you'll have a firm grasp of the DOF for various f/stops at various distances to the subject.

On the subject of exposure, you shot these in aperture mode - good !!! - but given the brighter light, these probably needed about a -0.5 to -0.7 EV compensation in-camera. You can do this in processing/post processing, but it's always good to get the exposure when you shoot the image. I would expect that you wanted to hold the details in your baby's and wife's hair in these shots. That's hard with such rich dark hair when shooting with flash. You could dial down the flash perhaps -2/3 EV or so and reduced the "hot spots" or bounce the flash off of a diffuser. Here's another thought - shoot the photo with more diffused window light or even use a polarizer on the lens to reduce glare spots (with the window light - not flash).

Lastly, you might think about how you want to process your images. If you're shooting JPEG to start, you limit how you can process the image, especially with exposure issues. If you shoot RAW, you can apply exposure compensation, sharpening, and a plethora of other measures to address small differences (remember what I said above about getting the shot cleanly in the camera).

Great shots to start with the camera and this lens. I'll look forward to more of your work, and of course, your lovely baby and wife.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008