First few with 300 f/4

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

The last 2 weeks or so have been incredibly long and somewhat frustrating. Feels like forever since I've processed a pic. PC got stripped down to a complete restore (which always sucks! :mad:) but I'm over it. Running like a top and piece by piece putting it back together the way I want it. The cherry on top of this crap, which made it all taste good was a b-day gift from an Aunt (my favorite one! :rolleyes::biggrin:) of a Nikon 300 f/4.

What a sweet piece of glass. Dont know if I'll ever play with my 80-400VR again and would have to think long and hard about a non-AF-S lens for sure!
    It will take some getting used to especially as a former total zoom lens user. Primes force you to look more at the picture and think. I suppose being in Florida the disadvantage ( of sorts :rolleyes:) is the ability to get real close to some of these birds. I've actually got to step quite a ways away from a Great Egret or a Great Blue Heron if I want a full bird! Interesting stuff I'll be learning in the coming weeks with a new addiction to a new focal length.

Anyway, here's a few. The Moorhen shot was considerably cropped, the Osprey and Little Blue are only about 20% cropped. Just having fun looking close at what this lens can do.

original.

View attachment 108168

View attachment 108169

2. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    That would be a lens I really, really want.

Good job!

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Good job Thomas. Looks like you're using it well.
    I've enjoyed mine.

4. You have used it well on these Thomas

5. Nice shots Thomas! I like number 2.

Anthony

6. Your LBH is insanely sharp! I guess the lens is a keeper? Give your aunty a big hug and a kiss!

7. Thanks everyone. I just love how this lens tracks too. Night and day compared to the 80-400Vr. Do miss the extra focal length but a 1.4 TC will do nicely.

You can bet she got a lot of thank yous already :Love:! She now qualifies for at least a birthday card herself this year too! And a nice big print taken with what I'll now call my "mistress" (the 300 f/4)! :rolleyes:

8. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    Hey Tom,
    New lens is great, very crisp and clean images.
    BTW, If you want to sell that 80-400 VR lens, I would be highly interested.

Jessie

9. Hmmmmm...lemme sleep on that a bit :846: Certainly the thought occurred to me. Will keep it in mind.

10. Congrats on the new lens Thomas!! You will love it. I think it is Nikon's sharpest telephoto lens because of the lesser number of glass elements.

Super crisp shots!

Jose

11. Congratulations on the lens...It is seldom off my D200 when I am out hiking and looking for critters and birds. The addition of the 1.4 TC EII adds a nice bit of distance with little to no discernible IQ loss. ( in fact I used it with the 1.7 as well giving my 500 mm ....quality is not that much compromised. )

12. Thanks Jose and Bob. I'm really looking forward to taking it to work with me on Sunday and seeing what it can do with my Scrub-jays! That and usually Sundays my wife let's me roam free for most of the day so I'll really get to sink my teeth into this puppy and get a groove going.

13. Thomas, your results are not at all surprising. The 300 is a fantastic lens. I had good luck using the 1.4tc (I used a Tamron SP Pro) and noticed hardly any negatives. I also had the 1.7 and used it alot on the 300. It's great for static shots but I noticed the AF became somewhat sluggish for birds in flight. But it's nice to have a 500mm+ option available that's easily handholdable. :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your goodies with this gem. :) And happy birthday, too!

14. WHOOHOOO Thomas! Nice going there! Yep, the 300mm is my favorite "bazooka jr!" too! I have both 1.4 and the 1.7 TC's and they both work quite well with the 300! Now all ya gotta do is find out what kind of photos your wonderful aunt likes and then start "wall-papering" her walls with photos from that nice b-day present! You did beautifully with these photos and don't forget to show them to your aunt! Keep em comin!

15. Welcome to the 300mm f/4 fan club! .
    If you can get a shot like that osprey first time up, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and knock our eyes out regularly.

Alan

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great lens and pice
    Good work

17. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Happy birthday first of all! I think you will be hard to handle now that you have a super prime lens like that one.

18. :biggrin::wink: Thanks everyone! You're all too kind. Can you believe it, I didn't shoot one shot today with my mistress (300 f/4) ??!!

I'm ecstatic at the possibilities! Can't wait to share with you all what I get!

Thanks for all the compliments, I feel the love! :Love::wink:

19. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Osprey is amazing.

20. Very nice shots