First flower (unknown species) with D2H and the Beast

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Hi All,

I photographed this lovely plant at a rest stop on I81 North in Virginia. It was almost sun down and it was beginning to rain again...Can someone identify it for me please? :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I sure don't know what type of flower that is, Crystall, but it certainly is unique and captured very nicely.

3. Kind of a bouquet-in-one. You know, the sandwich that's a meal!

Nice images.

4. You have a knack for not only carrying your camera in the reststops but capturing nice images as well Crystal. Good job.

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Those are great photos Crystal.
    Sorry I don't know what kind of flower it is.

6. Hi Frank, Beezle, Gordon, and Dave,

Thank you for the kind feedback. This flower grows in clusters as a bush and is used as ground cover at rest stops and stuff. I have seen it growing in loads of places, but as usual, rest stops always yield interesting photo ops so I decided to investigate it further. It was also a good opportunity to use the D2H and the Expodisc. Oddly enough, I was able to obtain a white balance reading with the new Expodisc on the D2H and then I promptly forgot how I got it. :tongue: I guess that is what directions are for... :biggrin: I used the Expodisc yesterday at a nearby conservatory and botanic garden. It seems to be a really handy tool.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Crystall. Some day I hope to get my grubby hands on a beast of my own. Until then, I'll just enjoy vicariously through yours, UF's, and all the other lucky stiffs that already have theirs. :rolleyes:

8. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Crystall,
    From what I can see, it looks like a Cleome or Spider Flower (Cleome hasslerana). The long green pods are seed pods. It's an interesting plant -- very hardy and, once started, spreads its seeds, and grows everywhere. The central stalk just keeps growing and producing more flowers and seeds all season long.
    I've been trying to photograph ours, but have not been able to approach your success. Thanks for sharing these -- now I'll have to try harder.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Crystall,
    Don't know if your into growing flowers but here is your chance for some free ones Grab some of those seed pods and wala.. Pretty flowers :>)))

I used to do that all the time. I grew all kinds flowers.

10. Hi Frank, Bob, and Gale,

First, thank you for the kind feedback. I wish I had known about the seed pods. It was sun down and the rest stop was deserted. Next time perhaps. This was my first attempt to capture flowers outdoors and I picked the toughest conditions. Of course it started to rain too. The D2H and the Beast continue to surprise me. In fact, I had to keep checking these images because the rain drops were so distinct. Then I tried to photograph the same flower with the 60mm micro with totally different results. Both were pretty, but the Beast rendered better bokeh. Hmm, rest stops and my barren privacy wall outdoors...gives me ideas for next year. :biggrin: