First garage portraits (ala Mitch) with Emilie

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, Aug 26, 2008.

1. I have always loved Mitch's garage portraits, the light is just so beautiful (never mind his kids!). :smile: He encouraged me to give it a try, so being over-eager, here are some quick and dirty shots of Miss Emilie. She was fresh from worm-hunting (ew!), and I unceremoniously plopped her on a stool in the garage. :tongue:

Critique appreciated (yes, I know, clean up my model first!....at least I got her hair brushed back in #2 :redface: )

102231990.gif

View attachment 243445

These were a lot of fun to shoot and develop.....not much PP to do at all.

D3, 85/1.4 at f/3.2, ISO 400, 1/200th hand held

2. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    So were these with available light from the open garage door? They look really good.

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow! Really great results, Gretchen! Maybe I should try this......oh, wait.....I don't have a garage:tongue:

4. Nate,

Yes, simply sat her on a stool in the garage (no reflectors or anything else). Who knew high sun in the summer could be good light?! :tongue:

Francis, rent a 20x30' storage unit! :biggrin:

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Nice, Gretchen! I'm going to have to clean all the trash out of my garage, move the old Jag out, borrow someone's kid and start shooting!

6. He's amazing isn't he?? :smile: Mitchell pointed that site out to me, I spent quite a bit of time perusing last night. I just love natural light work. :smile:

7. Thank you Pia! :smile: The cars were pulled out into the driveway, so I just dragged a stool out there and plopped her down.

8. I really love these. I must try these when my granddaughter visits next. No 2 is my favorite....

9. Awesome shots Gretchen!!

10. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE garage light! I can't wait until we empty ours of the moving clutter so I can use it. These are lovely! Best light in her eyes that I've seen yet from you!

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Absolutely love them!! I need to try it with my grandkids...

12. They're a lot of fun, and come out surprisingly well! Shop vac?? Nope, can't see it! :tongue:

Thanks Keith, I hope to play with this a good bit, these are a blast. :smile:

Thank you Sonya! I was amazed at such nice light at 1:30p .... usually a time one tries to avoid. :smile:

I look forward to seeing them!

13. KMH is an awesome photographer, I love his garage lighting technique.

Great pics Gretch, love them

14. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Wonderful light source! Garage is going to be on my list when we shop for a house. lol

i love them

15. Gretchen,
    These are simply wonderful portraits of beautiful Emilie! You did very well for your first outing in the garage.

I cannot shoot at that time of the day in my garage. The ambient sun is just too strong down here in Florida. You must have nice protection from the tree you mentioned in front of your garage.

I think you nailed the exposures here. I really like your compositions and the crops. #2 is my favorite and could be cropped even tighter (a la KMH). I'll send you a PM.

The biggest problem with garage shooting is that it takes place in a garage!:eek: We all have things cluttering up the background which need to be moved for these photos. I can see where you burned a bit of the background on the second. Perhaps a little more time blending these areas will give more natural looking results. I've wondered if just quickly hanging a black muslin or sheet in the garage would make these easier.

Great job on these and keep shooting in your garage. You're a natural!!

16. Yes, it does. :) I had no *clear space* in my garage in California, so I almost always had a muslin up to declutter for me.

17. Mitch,

I LOVED your edit, would you please post it here for all to see! :smile:

Funny you and Sonya mention the muslin, I was just thinking that last night..... a black one, and a really dark grey one......would do just the trick.

Yes, a bit of burning (gee, where DID that shop vac go from the bottom left of #2?? :tongue:), and that's a technique I'm still not too proficient at yet. I tried to use a large brush with a softness of 0. Should I make more passes to soften up the technique? I'm using a pen tablet, perhaps I pressed to hard?

Thank you so much for the encouragement and help, I greatly appreciate both. :smile:

BTW, any good suggestions for decent/inexpensive muslin and a stand? And how wide??

18. Here's my crop as requested. I think this slight change really enhances the photo. YMMV.:smile:

[​IMG]

19. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    I'm very impressed! What a wonderful technique.