1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First HDR Portrait

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by TCMony, Sep 10, 2008.

1. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    I know that the processing is very extreme but that is the style I was trying to make. I have learned that you really have to make sure the model holds absolutely still. You can tell she moved a little too much. Feel free to critique on this of what you would do different or change. Thanks for looking.

2847709488_45280e6072_o.

2. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    Why did you do HDR? I think it would have looked far better and more natural had you just used two exposures (even processing them from the same frame) and blended them together to get a good exposure for the sky and another for the model.

Not a fan of the colour cast the HDR has put over the whole image. The glow around the model totally ruins the rest for me. The sky looks nice though.

Sorry to sound so harsh. The HDR just doesn't work for me in this case.

3. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    That is quite alright. I know that this is not for everyone. I just like the difference of the image. I have many exposures and I will merge two shots together and then blend them manually. Thank you for the suggestions.

4. drdrew

drdrew

Dec 28, 2007
    missouri
    i can understand the desire for the HDR look and toning. and i don't think that is the problem. if you had wanted natural looking you would not have done this, so given that we are not after a natural looking photo, we move on to critique of it for what it is. i think the composition is generally okay, maybe if you moved a step to the right so that the tower in the background had it's own space rather than intersecting with the model. but the main main main problem with this image is the haloing around the model especially. you could try to burn it even, but this is not an easy task. maybe reduse the overall effect to recuce the halo as well as attempting to gently burn the halo.

5. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Well, I like it. Kind of ... erie!

Best Regards,

6. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    interesting PP ... however i agree with others, it would of looked better as a double exposure rather HDR... HDR kind of takes away from it .... or atleast in this case..

7. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    I don't like the treatment at all, but also am curious how necessary using "HDR" techniques was in the first place. Was the scene really that contrasty? (It's obviously tough to tell how bright the sky etc. was things now stand) If not, could you have gotten "better" results by just faking things and developing a RAW with multiple settings to feed to your program?

8. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you for the critique it is very helpful. I tried to tell her to stay absolutely still. The halo is from her movement, I did not think about burning to reduce the hightlight. I am still working on positioning and pose, I have a long way to go until I am confortable with my instructin skills.

When I have time I am going to put two images together so that we can compare the two and I am sure that it will look great. I am just messing around with different looks. Thank you for the comment.

This picture was a very high contrast area. The only way I could have achieved a great picture would have to use CLS with a few lights. This image would have been even better if I would have used an external flash at all but I was just playing around to see what it would look like. Thank you for the comment.

I was trying to get an extreme artisit look, and this is very extreme. Thanks for the comment.

9. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    love it !
    did you do it through cs3 or photomatix?

10. drdrew

drdrew

Dec 28, 2007
    missouri
    the halo is not from her movement. it's from the HDR.

11. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    You are correct.

If she moved, she would be blurry, even with HDR.

12. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    I used Photomatix in CS2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.