First Hummers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I know that these are not very good, but several hummers finally showed up at my feeders after almost a month of waiting. I have a bunch to learn, and I need to rearrange my feeder set-up to get a more unobstructed view, but I'm happy to finally get some shots at these guys.

Shot with the D2H / 300 2.8 + TC-14EII.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing that I did notice is that I need more DOF than I thought that I would. I figured that f5.6 or even f4 would be plenty, but I was obviously wrong. Oh well, it's a start. :wink:

2. Oh boy, here we go. Now hummers are off limits. The master's shooting them now. Pretty soon we'll run out of birds to shoot. Hard to compare with your shots! ;)

{Just like to give you some grief, there, Frank}

3. A fine start it is too Frank. I expect to be dazzled soon! Our hummers are long gone up here.

4. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Truly amazing... nice captures!

5. Hi Frank,

Those are very fine shots, I can't wait to see what you get with a little experimentation.

Interestingly, today Nan saw the first hummingbirds of the year on the red Canna flowers that just bloomed earlier this week. They were gone by the time I ran to get the camera. It now sits by the window, pre-focused and ready to go.

Bob & Nan

6. Frank

you just couldnt leave it alone could you, you have all those other birdies up there too and you just couldnt resist one more species :p For first go, considering 420mm + , awesome shots buddy. GREAT job.......... Look forward to seeing many more!!!!!!! Bet you it felt good!!

Keith

7. Congrats, I really like the second one, I know that trying to capture these guys will be a good way of improving our skills, glad to see they finally showed up. Have you thought about using the flash on these? I hope to get some shots from my feeders soon

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Mike, I did use flash later on in the session when the feeders went into shadow. I think the last shot here was taken using flash. I didn't use the Better Beamer though. I was about 15 - 20 feet away, and I could definitely tell the difference between shots that had a fully charged flash and subsequent shots, so I assume that I didn't need it (the BB).

9. I got the beamer and am still trying to get a grip at that distance I don't think the beamer is a needed tool. NOW next is multiple flashes to freeze the action and brighten the scene... It is only $$$$ 8)

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm going through the same learning process with the BB Mike. As to the additional flashes, I was thinking the same thing. Only problem is that I'm wanting a good macro lens real bad right now, so I guess the flashes will have to wait. :?

11. Frank,

I would say your first shots are very well done. I really like your last shot. :D :D :D

12. I hear ya, after going to Longwood I felt the need for a macro lens problem is I wouldnt want the affordable 60mm woudl liek the 200mm but I have seen great stuff posted by Janet Zinn using the Tamaron 90mm

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

I'm trying out Patrick's 90 Tamron right now. I have been impressed by the few shots that I've taken so far. I'll give it a little more work this week and let you know how they come out.

14. That would be much apprecaited

15. Very nice....really like #2....you could clone out the feeder and make that one into a spectacular shot..!!

16. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Those are nice Frank. I like the last one as it is an angle that we rarely see in hummer photos -- makes a nice complement to the other shots. Now that they have found you, be prepared to make some new friends. I've had the females sit down within 3-4 ft from me -- they seem interested in watching me watch them.

17. shoot em? I dont even get to see them.

Nice shots. Can you catch one pooping so you can join Jim Fentons club like I did.

18. Very nice Frank.