First hummers...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lisa, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Out of 150 shots these were the only 2 decent ones. I made it a goal to shoot birds this trip out to MN. For some reason, there are hummers all over the place and they are not shy around humans. BUT, there was always one bird that would not let others drink from the feeder. She made it more difficult than I would have imagined and I learned a lesson in patience. Wish I could have gotten the whole bird in focus. I don't know how you guys do it :)

I finally gave up and went for one sitting still in the Cedar tree.

All taken with the D70, 70-200VR and SB800.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent captures Lisa. You are one of about four of us that are trying to learn to shoot these guys, and you are right at the top of the heap. 8)

3. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Thanks, Frank. But honestly, I just threw up my hands. Do you know that I had no rhyme or reason when capturing these two? :? I happened to have the camera accidentally set to manual mode on the 4th day of trying and that's how I got these. There's very few hummers around here so I have to wait until next year. I can't wait to see what you and the others can do. :)

4. Lisa, nice shots. Hummers are hard to capture and you did an excellent job of it. Like Frank said, there are a few of learning to shoot the little fellows, welcome to the club.

5. Those are great Lisa, hummer keeper ration is pretty low you just have to watch them and figure out where there going to be and pull the trigger before they get there. :)

Nice ones.

Martin

6. They are all really nice Lisa but #2 is special. The background lends itself to this kind of shot. Thanks for sharing your work.

7. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Thanks, everyone! There were so many buzzing around, sometimes as many as six at a time, so I was bound to catch one. There seems to be an absence of wasps and ants in MN so hummingbirds were the only living creatures on the feeder. Here, in IL, we seem to get more wasps and ants than birds :roll:

Martin: I'm happy to hear that my keeper ratio is in the norm. I won't be so frustrated next year :)

8. Neat shots Lisa... :) really like the background in #1...every year seems different with hummers..this year we have quite a few but the males are so aggressive they won't the others drink and don't have time to drink themselves because they spend so much time chasing each other...maybe next year.. :cry:

9. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Mike!

Thank you for your kind words. I know what you mean about aggressive birds. The bird in the cedar is the one chasing all the others away and from what I've learned from the forums, I believe it's a female. But the funniest thing was that she wouldn't drink but would make sure none of the others would drink either.

10. Congratulations Lisa on getting some great shots of the little guys. It's not easy getting a good shot of them but I think you nailed it. Good going.
    Pete

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great Job Lisa.

I sure couldn't get one....

12. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Thanks Gale. You should see the other 150 or so......I do better when I just give up. :D

13. Great shots Lisa, I especially like #2, I know how difficult these guys can be. Earlier in the season my backyard attracts them but they seem to be gone for now.

14. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Lisa! I'd love to capture hummer shots that good, but don't even have the opportunity to try. They just don't seem to want to visit my yard.

15. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Thanks Don and Louis. We don't get them either. There is one lone bird that comes by but doesn't visit the feeder. I don't know if it's because it has been an unusually hot and dry summer, but we definitely had more last year :cry: