First Humpback of the New Season

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The first trip Sat wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad for mid-April. The seas and winds cooperated, and there were a variety of whales about. We were late getting back in due to 3 humpbacks who held the boat hostage for almost 45 minutes. They continuously swam around the boat, and the rules say you can't move when they are close to you. I wonder if they know that? It seems like they might! This shot is a humpback about to surface. I didn't bring the shorter lens as it usually isn't needed this time of year, so all shots were with the 70-200VR. The light arrow shape is the top of the splashguard, the light colored areas are abrasions (scars). The splashguard is muscle that the whale can squeeze upward to deflect water around the blow hole openings.

A clearer view:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Held hostage:>))

Glad you had a great day. I sure love to see your whales.
    Think you have some bad weather up there now, don't you

3. Hi Baywing, You know my wife (God rest her soul) used to love and go to Cape Cod for a whale watch but I never could get any interest in doing that. Seeing your's I am sure I would have had a very enjoyable trip and probably made my wife a lot happier. Happy for your enjoyment.
    Lou

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks. Sat was the calm before the storm. Not too bad right here, localized problems being greatly exaggerated by the media......guess they don't remember the flood of May 82.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah the media is pretty far out most of the time.

6. Nice shots, I want to be in your part of CT. We've had ~ 6 inches of rain and the boardwalk in the Conservation Center is under three feet of water. I am off to pick up my granddaughter as the bus route is canceled because some roads are closed due to flooding. Cheers!