First impressions - Nikon V1 & J1 - Masai Mara

I added the second part of the System 1 story to my blog, sharing some impressions with normal shooting situations.

Part 2: Click here

One example. ISO 3200, J1 & 30-110mm. No postprocessing, just resized.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

regards,
Andy

JPS

Wow ! Once again it depends MORE on the photographer than on the camera !

PS. I left a comment on your blog !

:smile:
J-P.

Wow ! Once again it depends MORE on the photographer than on the camera !

PS. I left a comment on your blog !

J-P.
J-P.,
thanks for your nice comments :smile:

Here are 4 more photos from yesterday and today. Basically out of cam, just resized.

Click here for a 1920x1200 version

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks, Andy, great info.

A question, to you specifically and of course to anyone else who has an opinion :wink:

For those of us who are considering some type of smaller mirror-less system, would you recommend holding off until the rest of the bits and pieces, specifically the FT1, become available and perhaps even the V2 prior to making an investment? The reason I ask is that it seems to me that the entry price, regardless of system, is still quite high, I don't really see any way to not exceed the $1,000 mark for a decent body and lenses.

I must say that one thing that intrigues me no end about the V1 is the idea of hanging it off the back of my 400mm f2.8. I refuse to say "putting the 400 on the V1", that just doesn't feel right :biggrin:

Thanks,

Thanks, Andy, great info.

A question, to you specifically and of course to anyone else who has an opinion :wink:

For those of us who are considering some type of smaller mirror-less system, would you recommend holding off until the rest of the bits and pieces, specifically the FT1, become available and perhaps even the V2 prior to making an investment? The reason I ask is that it seems to me that the entry price, regardless of system, is still quite high, I don't really see any way to not exceed the $1,000 mark for a decent body and lenses.
Hi Bill.

This question is hard to answer.

First, it depends how you personally justoify your investment. Each one of us have a different reference point here. Second point: Holding off the investment means - no photos for the period until you intend to join the band wagon. Hmmm . If you feel uncomfortable with the current price point - hold off.

/Crystal ball = on

It would have been foolish for Nikon to introduce a new System (I really mean system in the sense of a 10+ years perspective) with the cheapest possible bodies at the beginning. It is hard to walk the market up from the bottom end and subsequently introduce only more expensive bodies. If I would be in Nikon, the J1/V1 marks somehow the midpoint of the mid term range of cams. By choosing the 2.7x crop sensor, we - Nikon - have a price leadership in production against the larger sensor ML manufacturers, which we can use twofold. First option: Introduce a camera at a price range which gives Nikon margin but not the competitors. Nikon might eventually do this step, but I would not expect it soon - it is not their style. Second option is to keep prices high and use the higher margin vs. competitors to either earn more, or enjoy a higher R&D budget for out-innovating competitors with for instance more lenses, or better cameras or better sensor designs. Nikon is normally in for the long run.

My personal decision to shell out more than 2000 USD for all 7 pieces was that I have the feeling that Nikon did the basics of the System 1 right and the System 1 platform has great potential in many directions. Similar to the introduction of the Nikon F body back in 1960. The value and network effect comes over time - and they come big. Same here - which is the biggest differentiator to the other ML manufacturers. Nikon has more network effects to benefit from. Bigger established customer base, it has TOTAL control on the new N1 mount (people tend to underestimate this super important aspect of corporate strategy) and if my initial 2000 phots are an indication, AF performance with DX and FX lenses will be a lot of fun. (and I hope very fast).

I will get the FT-1 adapter as soon as it comes out. I tried really hard to get one for this trip. I learned that most of the shown FT-1 adapters by Nikon were only mock-ups so far. So we need to be a bit patient.

Another option in my crystall ball is the introduction of a second sensor size - similar to the DX/FX co-existence in the DSLR space. The mount seems to be big enough to cope with a larger sensor. Will it be a DX size or a yet to be announced EX? I don't know. This would give Nikon a nice market segmentation strategy to move the CX line more to the value end of the market (Hurting many of the ML competitors who have choosen to use a bigger, more expensive sensor) and grabbing a higher share of the higher priced market with the "EX" sensor system, but same mount.

That Nikon is serous about the mass market dimension of this new system can be seen, that more than 8.000 people are manufacturing basically System 1 bodies and lenses. No company would do this just for a single product introduction - there is long term component in it as well.

/Crystallball = off

To cut a long story short.

The System 1 has a lot of future potential, the initial products are super cute, my investment protection seems to be better here than with other ML systems, and many of my existing AFS lenses will be of added utility (this is the benefit of the network effect for a customer). The utility of already purchased products grow with each new additional product you acquire. Nikon has probably the longest track record in the photo industry with the f-mount system.

I joined now, but it was very much based on this longer view (10+ years) to justify the step.

YMMV,
Andy

JPS

GREAT post, Andy !

Now, while I'm at it, another question: I'm not really in the financial condition to "justify" buying the V1... but I could/will make the effort for the J1 ifff.....

So, as you have both bodies (lucky b.......), would you say that the J1 is as valuable as his big (thicker!) brother ? In other words, as an OLD 35mm. film photographer, now enjoying a D700, would I like the J1 as a "second camera" and possibly using it with only the Nikon 1 10mm. pancake AND long FF lens (300mm.) ?

...and not REGRETTING not to have bought the V1 instead ?!?

J-P.

JPS

Hi Phil !

...just imagine using your 800/5.6 as a 2160mm. on a such tiny body !?!?! ...and getting GOOD images !!!

:biggrin:
J-P.

GREAT post, Andy !

Now, while I'm at it, another question: I'm not really in the financial condition to "justify" buying the V1... but I could/will make the effort for the J1 ifff.....

So, as you have both bodies (lucky b.......), would you say that the J1 is as valuable as his big (thicker!) brother ? In other words, as an OLD 35mm. film photographer, now enjoying a D700, would I like the J1 as a "second camera" and possibly using it with only the Nikon 1 10mm. pancake AND long FF lens (300mm.) ?

...and not REGRETTING not to have bought the V1 instead ?!?

J-P.
Thanks J-P. :smile:

With regards to your question. As written above, this is hard to answer in a simple yes/no style. There are at least tens of things to consider before buying somethimg. It would be simple, if there is only one technical specificaton to be checked - unfortunately it is not.

Let me answer it in this way. Besides price, the J1's biggest advantage is the smaller size. Especially with the pancake lens I would consider it the "only" System 1 combination which fits easily into the pockets of trousers - and easily gets out as well. The V1's EVF makes the V1 a bit clumsier for this purpose.

Some other thoughts:
  • The lower resolution monitor is a non issue for me.
  • Haven't found the time to check what impact the mechanical shutter of the V1 has on image quality in challenging light situations (highlights, cross light, stray, ...). In normal shooting conditions they seem to be pretty similar.
  • If you have the D7000, the V1 would use the same battery - simplify logistics. If you don't have a D7000, both cameras would introduce a new battery system into your collection.
  • I would assume, that bot camera models will loose value at the same rate. If you are unhappy with the System 1 IQ (don't think so), you would loose less absolute value with the J1.
  • The FT-1 is a joker I am waiting for. Its just a couple of weeks left.
  • The basic handling is pretty identical between the J1 and V1.
  • Don't set you expection too high, that the N1 cameras will deliver better IQ than your DSLR. They will not. But they will allways deliver superior photos in those cases where you wouldn't have taken the DSLR with you. I was in Mombasa, and this is not the place where you would go out with a D3 plus the holy trinity of lenses. You just wouldn't do it. The Nikon 1 really shines in these cases. Tiny, FAST, accurate, not "projecting" huge value to the environment as it looks like a simple P&S, but it is much more a photographic tool than I used to have in this class.
  • Get a fast SDHC card, the camera really benefits from a fast storage card. I got a couple of SanDisk UHS-1 cards with 32 GB. The earlier 15 MB/s are impacting the time window after a fast sequence needs to get written from the buffer to the card and get the camera ready again. If you are not a speed shooter, get a cheaper card.
Cheers,
Andy

JPS

Thanks for these precisions, Andy ! That encouraged me to just wait for the FT-1 and then order a J1 body immediately ! Now, about the lenmses, I'm still unsure... 10mm pancake, so the camera+lens would fit in my trousers pocket, or/and the 10-30mm., or the 30-100 ? These lens are not very cheap and specially not FAST... I guess the 10mm pancake, plus the FT-1 and one or two Nikon FF lens in a small bag might be THE solution !?!

Another question, as I read severlal posts about that: how about the TIME it take to the N1 to "swallow" and compute one shot until you can take a new one (meaning one shoot image per image) ? ...and how long before one can REVIEW the shot ?

My first DSLR was a Fuji S2 Pro, back in 2002, and I LOVED it for it's color rendering, but the time it took to compute images before I could review them used to drive me mad !! Now, with the D700, I don't even imagine waiting: it's almost simultaneous !

J-P.

Another question, as I read severlal posts about that: how about the TIME it take to the N1 to "swallow" and compute one shot until you can take a new one (meaning one shoot image per image) ? ...and how long before one can REVIEW the shot ?
Thee best word to describe it is: Instantaneous.
I would argue, not slower than your D700.

rgds,
Andy

JPS

Wow ! Thanks !

...makes it more and more difficult to find excuses for NOT to spend money ! ...which I haven't really got !

:wink:
J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom