Review First impressions with the D800

received mine this morning and have been testing it with all of my fast glass..
24 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8, and 400vr.
I still have a d700 which will be going up for sale soon and in the comparisons I have made between the two.....I agree wholeheartedly with everything Domdog has posted.
His review is exactly my experience with the d800...
Best Nikon Camera I have shot with to date..

Either I'm not understanding all this down-sampling, or you're all mad :cool: Assuming it's the former, somebody please explain :confused: (ie, why can't you take a picture in raw, edit as usual, and export a jpeg for printing, and that be it?)
Anybody? Or shall I start a new thread?

The DxOMark tests seem to confirm your findings Dom...
That site also revealed that Nikon has officially taken the D3s out of it's lineup and put it in their Archived Digital SLR Cameras section. I checked to see if that was true and sure enough when I went to their site, it was gone. This may have already been mentioned on NikonCafe but this is the first I have heard about it. That is a shame because the D3s is an awesome camera.

That site also revealed that Nikon has officially taken the D3s out of it's lineup and put it in their Archived Digital SLR Cameras section. I checked to see if that was true and sure enough when I went to their site, it was gone. This may have already been mentioned on NikonCafe but this is the first I have heard about it. That is a shame because the D3s is an awesome camera.
I've heard of one pro here in Hollywood returning the D4 after using it. This photographer is very hardcore so if she returned the D4 in favor of keeping the D3S, it says a lot. Then again, she skipped the D2X in favor of the D1X, so maybe she only likes odd number cameras?

I've heard of one pro here in Hollywood returning the D4 after using it. This photographer is very hardcore so if she returned the D4 in favor of keeping the D3S, it says a lot.
Interesting. I'm sure I'm nowhere near as "hardcore," but in areas other than sensor performance I found the D4 a nicer camera to use than the D3 series. The improved ergonomics, lower weight, faster AF, and better WB were the most noticeable differences in the time I demoed the D4.

I'm on the fence. I'm probably going to get one and see if I like it.
Same here. I'm "in line" at amazon (I didn't get one of the first ones). I've got my name in with a local dealer for a D4 and I'm definitely looking forward to that in a few weeks. Right now I can't decide whether to get a D800 as my second camera or wait for a D300s upgrade (to replace my D7000).

...sad to see it go. It is an amazing camera, but I should have realized when, just before the earthquake & tsunami, the D3s was put into the employee purchase program. That program was put on hold while Nikon tried to recover and certainly, the floods didn't help!

The D3S is delisted at Nikon USA. D3X likely to follow soon. This is probably due to the demand for the D800 and D4. Sendai plant can only make so many cameras and it seems Nikon will sell every D4 & D800 they can make for quite a while. They should be able to increase capacity if other lines are dropped. That, and the problem with the exposed contacts of the EN-EL3 and 4 batteries may have led to an earlier demise of the D3 series than expected.

James

received mine this morning and have been testing it with all of my fast glass..

His review is exactly my experience with the d800...
Best Nikon Camera I have shot with to date..
Michael, seeing your work posted here at the Cafe usually makes me do two things....smile and dig deeper to improve my own abilities. :wink: You are a true expert with your camera and I anxiously await your D800 posts.

James

I've heard of one pro here in Hollywood returning the D4 after using it. This photographer is very hardcore so if she returned the D4 in favor of keeping the D3S, it says a lot. Then again, she skipped the D2X in favor of the D1X, so maybe she only likes odd number cameras?
Jonathan - I wish there was a like button on this forum. This is the kind of humor I really like.

Perhaps I should wait for the D900 because it should be 3 times better than my D300...right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't you all splitting hairs here? I mean seriously, would you be using a Nikon camera AT ALL if they were in the business of making "crappy" cameras?? I have NO NEED WHATSOEVER for a 36MP camera. But I made a plan to save for my next body 5 years ago, and this is where I am. Yes it has tons of disadvantages, yes I would have preferred a 24MP or less camera. But I am CERTAIN that the images I make will be just as fantastic as what I'd do with the D700 (well, assuming my images are fantastic to begin with, but you get the purnt). This camera was released at the exact time I needed to buy a second body and circumstances dictated.

People are making FIERCE images with MUCH 'lesser' cameras than D800, D700, D3x, D3s... So buy it or don't buy it, but really...painting it out to be junk is kinda silly (it sucks at ISO1600??? really?? It's only acceptable at ISO800??? really? )

Respectfully disagree. D800 is way better than my D700(which I had for 3 years) at high iso if you compare the samples at the same size. Way more detail and less noise.
See my other post for samples: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=330846
Hi Stany,

you don`t have to disagree :smile:. I wrote if you shoot the D800 at 36 MP (= full resolution), the D700 will be better (because it is shot at 12 MP), that is one of the points which were obvious to me while testing, but to be honest that was also what I expected. It`s clear that the D800 will be better if the shots are downsampled to 12 MP, no doubt about that.

Best,

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't you all splitting hairs here? I mean seriously, would you be using a Nikon camera AT ALL if they were in the business of making "crappy" cameras?? I have NO NEED WHATSOEVER for a 36MP camera. But I made a plan to save for my next body 5 years ago, and this is where I am. Yes it has tons of disadvantages, yes I would have preferred a 24MP or less camera. But I am CERTAIN that the images I make will be just as fantastic as what I'd do with the D700 (well, assuming my images are fantastic to begin with, but you get the purnt). This camera was released at the exact time I needed to buy a second body and circumstances dictated.

People are making FIERCE images with MUCH 'lesser' cameras than D800, D700, D3x, D3s... So buy it or don't buy it, but really...painting it out to be junk is kinda silly (it sucks at ISO1600??? really?? It's only acceptable at ISO800??? really? )
Thank you for your skilled and deep feedback, Kristina :smile:!

To be sure, it is about splitting "pixels" here, but if you want to examine things, this is what has to be done IMHO. No one is saying the D800 was "junk" or "sucks at ISO 1600", so I would politely ask you to read all of the contributions properly before making a statement like this. To be sure you don`t have to, so you may just go ahead and have fun with your new camera. I am absolutely sure it will be a very fine camera, with many strong sides and advantages over the D700 and other cameras.

Best,

I want to point out that he thing everyone should be talking about is this Expeed III processor. The Dynamic Range and handling of Matrix metering is a big step up from the D700/D3/D3s, obviously its newer. Second, the AF seems to marginally improved in terms of accuracy because of this.

Sure you can go on and on that you don't need 36MP, especially those who shoot wide open or near wide open won't appreciate the depth, detail and dynamic range this sensor produces across the entire frame. I agree that its not for everyone but its darn near the perfect sensor for me.

I want to point out that he thing everyone should be talking about is this Expeed III processor. The Dynamic Range and handling of Matrix metering is a big step up from the D700/D3/D3s, obviously its newer. Second, the AF seems to marginally improved in terms of accuracy because of this.

Sure you can go on and on that you don't need 36MP, especially those who shoot wide open or near wide open won't appreciate the depth, detail and dynamic range this sensor produces across the entire frame. I agree that its not for everyone but its darn near the perfect sensor for me.
I'm joining the club, the D800 will be the ultimate move for me to consolidate. Less gear, more performance. Now only if I could source a D800? I put an NPS order, but it's going to be awhile.

Yes

I want to point out that he thing everyone should be talking about is this Expeed III processor. The Dynamic Range and handling of Matrix metering is a big step up from the D700/D3/D3s, obviously its newer.
You're spot on here. Frankly, the meter in the D7000 (which is newer than the D700/D3s but not as new as the D4/D800) is improved over the D700/D3s. I can't wait to get my hands on either of these new cameras.

I know that DXO and others might contradict Mark's study, but I appreciate highly his test, and it is good to have a "second opinion" on things.

-----

When I look at my printed images in A3 + (483 x 329 cm, I think it is 13 x 19 in American measurement) from D700 and D7000, then there is a special "clarity" over the D700 images, and I can not help to think about whether it is due to the larger pixels (although iT engineers off course develops things), and perhaps this could be the reason.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom