Review First impressions with the D800

Hi Stany,

you don`t have to disagree :smile:. I wrote if you shoot the D800 at 36 MP (= full resolution), the D700 will be better (because it is shot at 12 MP), that is one of the points which were obvious to me while testing, but to be honest that was also what I expected. It`s clear that the D800 will be better if the shots are downsampled to 12 MP, no doubt about that.
But I've never taken a digital shot that hasn't been sampled afterwards. How many people don't have re-sampling as part of their workflow?

I'm joining the club, the D800 will be the ultimate move for me to consolidate. Less gear, more performance. Now only if I could source a D800? I put an NPS order, but it's going to be awhile.
I put my order in on Saturday, but I'm not expecting to have one in my hands for the next 3 months :frown: Amazon says May 31, but they're just guessing like all the others.

Perhaps you'll get one faster as an NPS member...

Good luck

Mike

But I've never taken a digital shot that hasn't been sampled afterwards. How many people don't have re-sampling as part of their workflow?
I have been using my D70s, D90 and D7000 for the last four years but I cannot recall re-sampling an image. I save them from the card and edit for colour and contrast (Picassa) but thats it. I may have been missing out on something though - what effect does it have on the image?
I have been printing some 24x36" images and they seemed fine - but I'm always looking to do better.

I have been using my D70s, D90 and D7000 for the last four years but I cannot recall re-sampling an image. I save them from the card and edit for colour and contrast (Picassa) but thats it.
Well that can't be 'it', because no one will ever see your pictures if that's all you did :cool:

I have been printing some 24x36" images
If you've printed at 24x36, someone has up-sampled your image. Are you sending it to a printing shop? If so, how are you creating the jpeg, are you just saving at 100% quality and sending to them (in which case they will do the up-sampling for you) or are you saving the file as 24"x36" and specifying dpi (in which case you are doing the up-sampling).

Ahh - got it Mike. Yes, I do send to the print shop so they must be doing it their end. Mind you, they have never mentioned what sort of changes they make so next time I am over I will ask.

Ahh - got it Mike. Yes, I do send to the print shop so they must be doing it their end. Mind you, they have never mentioned what sort of changes they make so next time I am over I will ask.
It's just words isn't it, you don't need to know you're doing it. If I'm putting a picture on a forum, I'll typically export it from Lr with the long edge set to 600 or 800 pixels. That's all I do, and that down-samples my image (without me thinking about it), regardless whether it's from my old D70, or from a D800.

If I'm printing a 24"x36" from my D700, I'll export it from Lr with dimensions set to 24"x36" and dpi set to 300. That's all I have to think about, Lr will up-sample for me. So regardless what output I want and what camera I use, Lr will do some sampling on my output.

• But as soon as you rise the ISO, you are getting into trouble. ISO 800 was still very good, 1600 in my opinion only good, but I would really not use anything above for serious shooting with a 36 MP camera.

So, in the end, I really liked the handling of the camera. But I was also disappointed because I did not expect that much noise. "
Hi Markus

I read carefully. I was paraphrasing.
I'm disappointed to know that the D800 is not really worthwhile above ISO1600 for any serious shooting. Very disappointed.

Hi Markus

I read carefully. I was paraphrasing.
I'm disappointed to know that the D800 is not really worthwhile above ISO1600 for any serious shooting. Very disappointed.
That statement goes contrary to everything I've seen from the D800!

I consider the D800 excellent at 3200 and very usable at 6400... If the output is downsampled to 12 MP, it beats the D700 at all ISOs in an apples-to-apples comparison!

Cheers

Mike

I'm not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not, but the impression I get is that the D800 is better at iso1600 & iso3200 than anything else we have.

Sure wish we had a concrete answer on this..
I seek low light over my D700.
How much better (if any) is the D800 and how much mo-better (if any) is the D4?
On a per-pixel basis...
Don't care about this down-sample mumbo jumbo.
Apples to Apples at the pixel level...how do they compare.
What I do with those pixels are my buisiness :smile:

Sure wish we had a concrete answer on this..
I seek low light over my D700.
On a per-pixel basis...
What I do with those pixels are my buisiness :smile:
This makes no sense to me. Apples to Apples is per image, per print, not pixel to pixel.

Still, if that's what you want, ignore the D800 and get a D3s or D4.

I do not own a D3S and I have not used a D800. I do not even know if I should be writing this so consider this is my opinion only.
When the D800 was announced I made it clear it is not a camera I need. 36 megapixels are a lot of pixels and I do not need so many in my work. On regard to noise, I do mostly wildlife, nature and landscape photography and control of noise is not my priority. It would be totally different if I was a wedding photographer and if I was a wedding photographer I am sure I would be very happy with a D700.
Seems to me the D800 is not a camera for the general public but rather a refined tool that should fulfill the needs of the wedding photographer and those landscape photographers that enlarge to near mural sizes although a camera with 8 megapixels can also do that.
It is still too early for me to make any judgments on the D800, which will be based mainly on what I read, hear and hopefully see outside the web. Right now I feel this new camera will find a comfortable place in the hands of the wedding and landscape photographer, both of which enlarge files often to big sizes.
I believe Dx0 Labs, the D800 has a new sensor with new technologies and it could easily be, as we speak, the best digital sensor for cameras of this class in the world.
I firmly believe it is not a camera for everyone.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Perhaps this was what Markus saw:

http://www.bythom.com/d800intro.htm

(my black)

There's good news in that test: the D7000 holds its own far higher into the upper ISO ranges than you might think. It's a good ISO 1600 camera to start with, but if you let me downsample from 16 to 5.4mp size, it's even better. So I'm expecting the D800 to be as good when downsampled to 12mp. Is that as good as a D700? In some ways yes, in some ways no. The pixel peepers are almost certainly going to notice noise at highest ISO values (just as they do on the D7000).

Also, the thing that is a bit unique about the D3/D3s/D700 sensor tech is that it is relatively friendly to highlights. More so than any other Nikon camera, I can recover more highlight detail, even if my exposure is a little hot (but not too hot). What's happening with the new sensors (J1/V1, D7000, D800) is that we're getting really good detail definition in the shadows (partly due to the on-board ADC and very low read noise). We're all finding an amazing level of detail down in the lower bits with these latest sensors. To a small degree, more so than with the D700. But at the highlights, not the same. So one thing everyone is going to have to adjust slightly is their exposure practices--highlight recovery is tighter on the D800 than on the D700. Thus, maximizing a D700 is a bit different than maximizing a D800 (okay, I'm theorizing here, as I don't have a D800 in my hands yet to test that assumption; but still, I'm pretty sure from everything I've heard and seen so far and the side evidence of other recent sensors that this will be the case).

"This makes no sense to me. Apples to Apples is per image, per print, not pixel to pixel.

Still, if that's what you want, ignore the D800 and get a D3s or D4."

To me, I want to see what the raw pixels can do -- Then I can manipulate that with whatever down-sampling algorithm I want.

Without a solid, un-confused, un-manipulated starting point of individual pixel performance we need to undo or fully understand whatever processing has been done in order to make comparisons.

I want the "RAW" data....pixel performance.
I would expect the D4's pixels to be the "best," but would like to see data....how much better....

Opposite experience after a week with D800

Fortunately, I had the chance to play a bit with a D800 demo model at a local camera dealer. I used the Nikkor AF-S 24 f/ 1,4 G which I had brought with me. My first impressions with this camera:

• But as soon as you rise the ISO, you are getting into trouble. ISO 800 was still very good, 1600 in my opinion only good, but I would really not use anything above for serious shooting with a 36 MP camera.

So, in the end, I really liked the handling of the camera. But I was also disappointed because I did not expect that much noise.

Best wishes from Germany,
Markus,
I repectfully disagree with you findings at high iso.
I had D700 for 3 years and I would never have used above iso 6400.

This is what I get straight out of my D800 at iso 12800. This was impossible with my D700 without post processing.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More occasional portraits at high iso here:
http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1571&sid=0b106f29c6ca6b1fb79b06706878482c

On a per-pixel basis...
This makes no sense to me. Apples to Apples is per image, per print, not pixel to pixel.
Comparing at pixel level is not Apples to Apples.
Indeed, no one wants 1 pixel as the finished output. No one wants to stare at zoomed in pixels either, people want to see finished output, and that includes sampling.

I want to see what the raw pixels can do -- Then I can manipulate that with whatever down-sampling algorithm I want.
Sure, but the end result will not only depend on what those pixels can do, but also how many of them you have.

Without a solid, un-confused, un-manipulated starting point of individual pixel performance we need to undo or fully understand whatever processing has been done in order to make comparisons.
If all we're shown is a 100% crop then that is a confused starting point. If we're shown a print (or finished jpeg) we may question the user's method of getting their, but it's a good start. Best would obviously be to have both raw files to play with, but just knowing how cameras perform on a pixel per pixel basis is not an Apples to Apples comparison.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom