First Jay!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sjlarue, Oct 1, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    :smile:Heard a Jay outside today, it was right outside my window catterwalling! I had to take it's picture. They haven't come to my feeder until today, but it stayed for a while eating seeds that had fallen to the ground.:

BlueJayOnGround.jpg

Gotta love it!:biggrin:
    Enjoy

2. That's a young jay alright...nice shot :wink:

3. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Sal...It was one of those through the looking glass shots. I was passing by my window when I saw it I immediately grabbed my camera and put it up against the glass and shot away!

4. nice Steve, these are great birds to shoot on those gloomy fall days., lots of great colours.

5. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Jay. Yep they are. And it's getting gloomier and gloomier. :(....makes me wish that I could go to MI VI in '09....I'm going to have to save up some vacation days and go in '10.

6. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Steve, you did a good capturing it. Have you seen any since?

7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    No, not yet, but I just put out my suet feeder, and one did wake me up this morning at nine-gosh-awful-early in the morning.

8. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Nice shot, Steve!

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Nice shot. Jays are pretty big...so unless you have a big feeder they will have to eat off of the ground. The cardinals around here have a hard enough time with the feeders not being big enough, I've never seen a jay at the feeders myself.

10. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Hey Steve if you really want to have some fun get some roasted peanuts the same you & I would eat and put them out.They will come like crazy and just watch the fun.They'll put 2&3 in there mouth and fly away and then come back for more.Have fun

11. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Oh by the way just put a few out at a time otherwise they'll clean you out.To expensive to put the whole bag out.Just enough to get some shots.

12. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Debbie.

:smile: Well they should be able to find a lot there as well. The sparrows will eat a sunflower then take one and spit it out. Haven't a clue why.

But I put my suet feeder against a tree to see if I can bait a Downy or Hairy to come in and get a pic of them on the tree trunk. I'm more worried about squirrels then Jays right now. Do they like suet?

13. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    That's just what I need. Jays begging for food at 9 in the morning...although it might be fun getting a shot of them posing on a bench.:biggrin: