First Job Saturday (Picture Links Fixed)

I'm shooting my first "job" on Saturday, a senior portrait session. The girl is one of my students (her mother teaches at the same school as me, so no weirdness). I have to say that I'm pretty nervous. I say "job" because I'm doing it for free (except prints).The shoot will be all outdoors. I'll probably take my 35, 50, 60, 180, as well as my legacy Jupiter 9. I also have an sb600 and two older flashes that I can use remotely via optical eye triggers...

Why am I saying this? I don't know---Help! Tips! Suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any flash modifiers (umbrellas, soft boxes, etc.)? How about reflectors? Those would be nice to have. The biggest challenge with seniors is the posing and locations. Do you have a few locations scouted out? The best thing to do at this point is to just look around this forum and google searches and look at poses/locations to get ideas. Definitely stressful, but for free that shouldn't expect the world so to speak.

Do you have any flash modifiers (umbrellas, soft boxes, etc.)? How about reflectors? Those would be nice to have. The biggest challenge with seniors is the posing and locations. Do you have a few locations scouted out? The best thing to do at this point is to just look around this forum and google searches and look at poses/locations to get ideas. Definitely stressful, but for free that shouldn't expect the world so to speak.
All I have is a dish reflector that someone will have to hold. No diffusers/umbrellas. I was hoping to use bounce cards and snoots and dial down as needed.

And yes...I do have some spots in mind. Three locations within 5 miles of each other. One abandoned warehouse with a cool fire escape. One park with glass high-rises all around that provide some cool light. And another park with some cool sculptures and some big trees.

I just hope they work as well as I think they will.

Fist off, you have way too much gear, take 2 lenses, that's it. Don't ask me which, pick the 2 you like and take them.

Do you personally know the model? if not , then you need to spend at least 10 min talking to him/her so you can develop a working environment, and the model can relax, otherwise you run the risk of the "deer caught in headlights" look.

If you're outdoors, you have pently of light, just make sure the model is not standing directly under harsh light, look for shaded areas, and use one flash as background fill light, and a reflector for the model.

That's it, your tally should be, 1 camera, 2 lenses, 1 flash, 1 reflector, you're good to go. Concentrate on the model not the gear, repeat to yourself 100 times. :smile:

Fist off, you have way too much gear, take 2 lenses, that's it. Don't ask me which, pick the 2 you like and take them.

Do you personally know the model? if not , then you need to spend at least 10 min talking to him/her so you can develop a working environment, and the model can relax, otherwise you run the risk of the "deer caught in headlights" look.

If you're outdoors, you have pently of light, just make sure the model is not standing directly under harsh light, look for shaded areas, and use one flash as background fill light, and a reflector for the model.

That's it, your tally should be, 1 camera, 2 lenses, 1 flash, 1 reflector, you're good to go. Concentrate on the model not the gear, repeat to yourself 100 times. :smile:
Thanks....this is the kind of advice I needed. Yes...I know the girl very well (and her mother too, who will also be there). I did just borrow some umbrellas (it's nice to have a fully equipped photo department downstairs from me), so I may take one shoot through.

I think I will take your advice and bring only three lenses (I want the Jupiter, but can't really rely on it for dedicated use). I will probably take the 180/2.8 and the 35/1.8 along with the Jupiter (it gives great color and background).

I'd take the 60/2.8D too.. it's a in between :).

You know the girl pretty well I guess so try to shoot some style and location that suits her :).

I'd take the 60/2.8D too.. it's a in between :).

You know the girl pretty well I guess so try to shoot some style and location that suits her :).
Yeah...we've talked about it extensively. She is my student assistant, so I have her alone (that sounds bad) for an hour a day. We both know what we want. That will, I hope, be a huge help.

The 60mm won't do you much good unless you plan to shoot her class ring or something.

The simpler you keep your gear, the more you'll focus on composition, posing, and natural lighting. And those three things will be what makes or breaks this shoot.

This coming from a guy who packs everything he owns for every single shoot he does. LOL!

I agree on limiting the lenses you take. You want to be spending time on composition and posing, not on wondering which of your lenses you should be using. I'd probably take the 50 and the 180. The 35 isn't as flattering as the 50 for portraits.

I agree on limiting the lenses you take. You want to be spending time on composition and posing, not on wondering which of your lenses you should be using. I'd probably take the 50 and the 180. The 35 isn't as flattering as the 50 for portraits.
True...I was just thinking that the 35 might be better when I want to include some environmental context.

My only suggestion is to take a third person with you. I never shoot senior girls without a third person. I usually have them hold the off camera flash. All you would have to do is move her hair and accidently touch her and you're in trouble. You never know.

My only suggestion is to take a third person with you. I never shoot senior girls without a third person. I usually have them hold the off camera flash. All you would have to do is move her hair and accidently touch her and you're in trouble. You never know.
One of the reasons that I asked this girl in particular to be my guinea pig is the good relationship I have with her. There is no way that she would ever say anything like that. Besides that...I teach with her mom. Besides that...her mom is coming with us.

One of the reasons that I asked this girl in particular to be my guinea pig is the good relationship I have with her. There is no way that she would ever say anything like that. Besides that...I teach with her mom. Besides that...her mom is coming with us.
Good, I was just going back to my Driver's Ed. training-always have a third person in the car. Too many crazy things happen in H.S.. Your reputation is too important.

Good, I was just going back to my Driver's Ed. training-always have a third person in the car. Too many crazy things happen in H.S.. Your reputation is too important.
Believe me...I know the dangers. Thankfully they don't exist with this girl.

True...I was just thinking that the 35 might be better when I want to include some environmental context.
Since you will be outside, I think you can back up enough with the 50 to show some environment. But, the 35 might be a bit easier for that purpose. Either way, I wouldn't take both the 35 and the 50 - I'd pick one or the other.

Since you will be outside, I think you can back up enough with the 50 to show some environment. But, the 35 might be a bit easier for that purpose. Either way, I wouldn't take both the 35 and the 50 - I'd pick one or the other.
I guess the 50 makes more sense. I find it easier to isolate subject with the 50 over the 35.

The 60mm won't do you much good unless you plan to shoot her class ring or something.
Actually the 60 f/2.8 makes a very good portrait lens on DX.

One thing you must do with portraits is get the eyes in sharp focus. Sometimes it's difficult to get both focused but at the very least get one nailed sharply.
Watch out for distracting backgrounds such as branches, pipes etc. It's easy to not to notice the background when you're concentrating on getting everything else right.

Good luck.

Actually the 60 f/2.8 makes a very good portrait lens on DX.

One thing you must do with portraits is get the eyes in sharp focus. Sometimes it's difficult to get both focused but at the very least get one nailed sharply.
Watch out for distracting backgrounds such as branches, pipes etc. It's easy to not to notice the background when you're concentrating on getting everything else right.

Good luck.
I actually love the 60 for portraits. I use it all of the te with my kids

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom