First job with the S5 Pro

Discussion in 'People' started by rdvella, May 18, 2007.

1. rdvella

Jun 17, 2006
    Hi everyone. Been a while since I posted up some images. Here's my latest work, some shots I took for a family protrait job. First time shooting with the S5. C&C welcome and appreciated.

2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    Nice to see a post with your name on it. Every one of these is just excellent. Impossible to pick a favorite. You did a phenomenal job getting natural, comfortable, at ease looks.....the backgrounds are everything!!

Great work!
  3. Very nice shots, even better processing! Great job.
  4. Very nice I like the soft feel you have given them.

I really like the composition of the last picture the best, it is a very nice picture, I'd get it printed and framed (Large size 11x14 at least)
  5. Beautiful work Rod.................. simply stunning.

6. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

excellent work...

I love them all...
  7. Nice photos. Do you feel the S5 offers you anything over the other Nikon's you've used in the past?

I am pretty happy with my D2X but I do miss the ability to have a built-in flash for those moment where I dont have a bag full of goodies and a SB800 with me and have been considering getting an S5 to try out... the highlight control and color casts of the S5 are also a strong point but need to get some real world reviews before dropping the coin.
  8. rdvella

Jun 17, 2006
    First of all thanks for all the kind words. Having seen a lot of your images in the past and knowing the excellent images that are posted then the praise is not taken lightly

The selling point for the S5 for me was the DR capabilities and the colour reproducability. As you can see it does a great job. Funnily enough the camera here in Oz does not come bundled with the HU-3 software I have read about elsewhere on the forum, which was somewhat disappointing (anyone have a spare copy:rolleyes: ?). I normally always shoot raw but some of the reports I have heard is that this camera is good enough to shoot Jpeg fine and if set up properly then can produce images straight out of camera. The low noise level is definately one place that this shines over the nikon and the sensor is just beautiful. Personally I love it but it's suited for my type of work. The write speed is still slow but the buffer is big enough to hold 7 jpegs in fine before it stops shooting.The 3fps can be a prob if you need to capture a series of shots. As for the flash, the best piece of advice I was given by a master portrait photographer was "throw it away". Use the available light and pose the subjects to make the most of it and that's what i do. I have an SB800 that sits in my bag but is hardly ever used anymore. All these shots are shot using ambient light.
  9. Just excellent! Excellent photos, excellent framing... I love #2.
  10. BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Very nice shots the barn in number 5 is great, just such a nice color and texture on the wood.
  11. Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Excellent stuff. Really stunning.
  12. Nice shots and you gotta love the color from the S5. Very nice.
  13. 1st and last are wonderful. The middle three could use some minor posing adjustments, particularly the second. The right arm looks awkward to me. Facial expression is superb.

You clearly have the 'eye'.
  14. srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    These are very nice images. I have to say the last is my favorite.

I've had my S5 for two days and am still experimenting with settings. I did some test shots with ISO 400, 800, and even 1600 and all I can say is WOW. I think I can throw away my Neat Image plug-in. If you don't mind a question or two, I'm wondering what lens you're using for the 50mm range? I'd guess the beast (28-70 AF-S, but would love confirmation). Did you perchance use the film simulation mode 1b for skin tones? For my first project next week, I'm taking the safe way out and shooting raw+jpg L to get the best of both worlds. Any pointers on in camera settings would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks for sharing your images. I hope to post my first set with the S5 later next week.
  15. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    These are all great, but I'm really drawn to the last one. Beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing these.

16. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Well this has been said, but I could not pick a fav - they are all very nice, and I the PP is awesome. Very nice work!
  17. rdvella

Jun 17, 2006

Once again thank you all for the kind words. Regarding the camera settings , I do have the camera set on 1b to give good skin tones and better colour saturation. I shot these with both colour and tone at +1 but sharpening on standard. I have read elsewhere in the forum that sharpening set at +2 would give better results. Still have to try that. Two lenses were used in this shoot. The Nikkor 24-120 VR and the 50mm 1.8. The latter takes some getting use to especially wide open but one of the best lenses in my arsenal
  18. I sure to sense a S5 in my future... anyone interested in a low mileage D2X :biggrin: :rolleyes:
  19. dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Nice work Rod. They are all nice but I particularly like the last one. Thanks for sharing.
  20. Nice job. The last one is especially good.