First Job!! YAHOO!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoDawg, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Well......I am not getting paid anything monetary. My payment will be the valuable experience and networking potential. I took some shots of Parker's (my son) karate instructor at the UAH Tournament here in Huntsville. He ended up being the Grand Champion of the tournament. He liked the pictures so much, he asked me to do some pictures at the end of this month of his leadership team to advertise the karate school. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Is there any advise out there for a newbie in this area?

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Congratulations Bryan! I know you are excited. We're thrilled for you...couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Congratulations Bryan. It is always fun to have someone recognize your talent. That is fine to shoot the first images of the tournament for free but when you are asked to do images for business advertisement I would at least insure that they give you a by line under the image. I might also consider negotiating some free tuition for your son. Have fun doing the shoot and let us know how it turns out.

5. Kudos, Bryan.

And yes, consider Gordon's advice.

Make sure you let us know how it turns out. Some pics would not be bad either.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congratulations Bryan, I hope this opportunity leads to many more. Don't make yourself crazy in the meanwhile, you'll do just fine. Double check your camera and flash settings.....then shoot, shoot, shoot......

7. Thanks everyone for the compliments and getting me fired up about this!!!

Gordon.......great advice. I will at least scribble my name on the pictures or get some recognition in the advertisement. Free tuition....now your talking!!!!

Thanks again!!! :D :D :D :D

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Either preset your WB or shoot a grey card

Doesn't matter if you're shooting jpg or raw, either presetting your WB for the lighting conditions, or shooting a grey card in that *particular* lighting is very important in getting skin tones correct. That is the #1 most important aspect of shooting people. I recently got a "WhiBal" card, and used it for my shoot from last Sun. BUT, I didn't shoot the card under all the times of day & different lighting conditions, and should have. I only thought to use it once, midway through the shoot. So, for the other 2 locations/times of day, I really struggled with getting those pesky skintones correct. It's easy as heck to use. You just hold it at a 45 deg angle under the *current* lighting with your left hand, and take a shot of it. Then in NC or PS, you can select it as the true grey point and apply it to all the shots taken under those conditions.
    Good luck, and at least make them give you full credit for the pics they use! Better yet, haggle for some tuition too!