1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Light - 200~400VR

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jose Suro, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I made a decision at the beginning of the week to stay with Nikon. I was in the queue for a Canon Mark III and all new lenses but decided I didn't need the extra hassle at this time, with my remodeling ongoing and all, so I bought a 200~400VR, as it is the only long Nikon lens with image stabilization. It is quite different from my 300/F4 and needs some getting used too! A lot heavier, shallower DOF (have to be right on the spot focus wise), etc.

I will probably be selling my 300/F4 because it's in the middle of the range of the 200~400.

Any way, here's some first light shots:

All the Best!

Jose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beautiful light Jose. All great captures.

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I agree with Phil, that is some buttery light. I don't envy your heat and hurricanes but I do envy the quality of light you guys in Florida seem to have an abundance of. And of course your skill in capturing it doesn't hurt either! Beautiful as always!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shots

Looks very heavy on saturation on my end though

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    WOW!!! Thanks for sharing Jose. I love my 200-400 and wouldn't get rid of it for the world

6. ZOOWEEE, Those are nice the entire set.

Very well done Jose

7. What a series Jose. What a series.

Thanks for sharing

Lil

8. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Once again Jose outstanding set,Congrats on your new lens a very fine piece of Nikon glass.

9. OK, Jose, you've mastered that lens already, time to move on to something else now:rolleyes: ...

10. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Excellent shots. Very beautiful color.

11. Jose, these are some beautiful images. You have to be pleased with this lens..great job.

12. Beautiful series, Jose. Congrats on your new lens acquisition - looks like you've mastered it well. Too heavy for my kayak but you seem to handle it well out on the water. :biggrin:

13. Hi Gale! Thanks so much for commenting. Sorry they look too saturated for you. I'm a "film guy" from way back and I always process to Kodachrome/Velvia saturations and contrast. Back in the days we underexposed Kodachrome 25 by a third stop and processed normally to get even more saturation :) . When I first got into digital (D70) I shot Jpegs and the camera did a pretty good job of punching the colors in, especially in Vivid mode. Now I shoot RAW and the words that come to mind when I look at the images are "clinical", "forensic" and "Dull" when compared with what I see through the viewfinder, and what I used to get with film. I'm not the only one. Here's an article by Darwin Wiggett that sums it up nicely:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0105/dw0105-1.html

Thanks again Gale!

Best,

Jose

14. Jose, these are really nice with the light you have on them.
    If I was you I wouldn't sell my 300 to fast as even though it is in the middle of the 2 to 400 the 400 as you know is a bit on the heavy side and you still may just want to take a walk with something light. You are 100% right about the stabilization but did you consider the 300VRG also. This is a nice lens.
    Lou

15. Thanks so much Everyone! I really appreciate the kind words.

All the best!

Jose

16. sweet shots... we will look like a real pair of nikon dudes when we come south this winter!

17. Sweet light indeed. Nice series Jose. You'll be putting that lens to good use.

18. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    first off CONGRATS!!! What a sweet lens. wonderful series and that first Godwit is awesome. Did you get a sidekick for it? Good to see some more images from you

19. WOW!:eek: These are just simply GORGEOUS! WOW! :eek:  Nice lens too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.