First Lighting Equipment

I'm trying to determine what gear i need for lighting. First planned shot will be a family portrait of 14. Any suggestions on how i can pull this off with out the need to purchase full studio equipment?

thank you.

A nice day with a not too bright sun and a good outdoor location would be the cheapest solution I guess... That in combination with a Fill flash to reduce some harsh shadow sections..

Would this be inside or outdoors?

Outside, I would look for some good open shade. Indoors, two SB800's or similar just to camera left and right and fired into umbrellas will be adequate.

Family portrait will be indoors. Just looking around my room to see how much light could be bounced. I'm not working out of a studio and would like gear to be portable so I could use it anywhere. Thank you.

Not quite 14, but I've pulled off shots of family with on/off-camera flashes bouncing off walls and/or shot through strategically placed lamp shades. Get creative, and you won't need a full studio setup. Check out a couple of setups I used.

Last edited by a moderator:
An outdoor shot can be spectacular but even in Hawaii it's asking for a bit much. I'll have one shot at this so I'd rather plan in indoor venue where there are less variables.

Would something like a pair in Interfit Super 5 Cool lights work? It has a pair of reflectors, diffusion sock and softbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom