First Macro with 500D and 70-200 combination

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bohdan, Dec 7, 2005.

1. As the title indicates this is my very first macro...not sure about the best way of going about this but any and every little tidbit of guidance would be appreciated.
    Trial and error is certainly one way of going about it...but would prefer to get some advice from the more experienced users of this combo..

Here is my first attempt.

[​IMG]

Shot in Manual Mode with SB 800 flash, aperture F/9; ss 1/15 sec; iso 200 at a distance of 200 mm.

Bob

2. I kinda like it. It's artsy. Probably not the typical close-up I would expect to see. I'm not even sure what it is but I do like it. The question might be. Were the choices made in making this photograph intentional? For example, did you purposely choose the complimentary background color and the selective depth-of-field? I assume you are using a tripod, and could stop down some more. It would be interesting to do for learning purposes. I like your choice in depth-of-field. I'd say you should continue trying different things and you build your skill in close-up photography. You're off to a good start. For quick shooting situations like butterflies and other bugs, you may find this combo a bit challenging. Several months ago, Flew posted an extensive test comparing your combo along with the Sigma 150mm macro, Nikon 200mm micro, and the 70-180mm micro. You might want to shoot him an email.

3. Thanks for your reply Silver Eagle..The background happened to be there so...not manipulated to compliment...The depth of field I used intentionally...didn't want everything in focus...Shot handheld ..I agree need to try different things to gain experience..

Bob

4. Bob,
    I have this combo as do many other members and it is extremely useful and versitle. Flew has achieved so extremely nice shots it it. The main things to know and understand is that the dof is a very defined narrow band, so alignment of the camera to what you WANT to be in focus is most critical. It seems to give rather decent results hand held and exceptional results when coupled with a sturdy support. While I prefer the true micro lens for extreme detail shots, this combo lightens a bag considerably when an occasional macro creation appears when it was not your main objective.
    have fun with it and post more, more, more.
    Dave

5. Thanks for your comments Dave...I will certainly take them to heart when those "opportunities" arise.

Bob

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
  7. Hi Rob this is a handheld picture of a candle . As far as set up goes..it was late in the evening, incandescent lighting and the use of a SB 800 on camera directly vertically up to bounce off the ceiling. Is this what you wanted by "setup on the camera" ?

bob

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Thanks Bob, I've now found out about the 500D attachment, very useful and saves chopping and changing lenses if you are out and about. I tend to leave the 70-200 on my camera most of the time, getting lazy!:smile:

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    I'm sure most of you good people the other side of the pond are aware of the disparity in prices between our countries, despite our two leaders having regular 'bonding sessions'.
    I was curious about the 500D so searched on UK Amazon and USA Amazon.
    USA $139.95

UK £169.95

We must be mugs living here. Our whole service and supply industry is aimed at running our wallets on 'Empty'.

10. Whoa!!!that's outrageous... I'm from Canada and purchased mine from B & H in the USA online for $139.95 US...works out to with shipping and taxes to my door....~$200 Canadian or 98.65 British pounds!

Bob