First Magnolia Blossom of the season

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by drueter, Apr 28, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Just had to take a picture of the first bloom to open on the Magnolia tree -- a true indicator that summer is almost here in the south. The white blossom is as hard to get good exposure on as those white birds. I'm still working on figuring out how to avoid blown highlights on these flowers -- I guess I'll just have to keep trying all summer! This one was taken at -2ev and adjusted by +1ev in Capture. Any suggestions?

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I just love Magnolias! I'm jealous as none of mine are in bloom yet...I look every day, but still nothing. :(
    Your shot is nice. I don't know what you shoot, and I'm by no means what I'd consider knowledgeable....but it looks like you held the highlights for the most part. Maybe if it didn't have so much dark background to compete w/it might not seem so blown? Just my observation. It's still very lovely.

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks, Leigh, for the comments. I mostly shoot birds and wildlife but am also trying to get better at the flowers. The background is a pond, so it will be hard to get it lighter until some lower blooms open and I can get some sky or grass behind it.

4. Nice going Don. Magnolias are wonderful when they bloom, but not popular with the neighbors!! Beautiful but messy trees. :) :) :)