1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Milky Way of the season (Washington State)

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by socrdude, Apr 26, 2018.

1. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    3MW with Giants-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nice, very nice Karl.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You picked a great location and executed the capture and processing extremely well! I'd be stoked to get such an image!

4. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thanks Nick/Karen .. it was rough as moon set was around 2:20 am and as you know being up in the PNW.. the eastern skies start to light up, pretty early, but it turned out nicely.. as I scouted the spot out before and was hoping.. you never now unless you go.. But boy, standing on this mountain area, in the dark, solo.. can get creepy as there are Cougars in the area, not that they bother with people, but if they are surprised by some guy in the dark, in the middle of the night, making no noise..

5. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    That's a wall hanger! Jeff

6. Nicely done..I can picture myself out there in the night enjoying the solitude of nature.

7. Outstanding photo. I like the way the stars graduate from lighter to darker skies.
    Would you please share your settings..

8. Wonderful image! What is the yellow light coming from behind the hills? It is most probably the moon but I'm used to seeimg the silver light of moon and that's why I'm a bit confused.

9. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Great picture Karl.
    In our region you'll have no chance to see the Milky Way - to much lights around.

I like it a lot
    Klaus

10. That's a beauty Karl, great location with those trees.

11. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    Light Pollution from the City of Olympia, Wa, the State capital. Driving time to Olympia is around 1 hr from this location

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thanks.. I scoped this place out, hoping for that it would work out this way.. happy or maybe Lucky it all worked out.

13. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    sorry for the delay.... D750 , Tokina 17mm 3.5 shot at 3.5, ISO 4000 for 20 seconds

14. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    at first, you are out there, I mean, out there, solo, in the dark-dark, on a logging road, far from people and any help, so at first, its a bit, scary, but as you are out there, it gets better and you feel more comfortable. But still, noise in the brush, etc, does get my attention anyway, as there are Cougars in and around that area. My wife has seen them twice, hiking, of course, I have not, the one with the Camera, but still, to be there, is amazing none the less.

15. Another great Milky Way Picture!

16. Like this one a lot. Foreground adds so much to this photo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.