First of Alex S.

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by LauraJohnston, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Still experimenting for some things.. what are your opinions on these?

I want to be able to create nice, simple black and white portraits.. and I'm just having the hardest time. Two different versions/crops:

original.jpg

original.jpg

And we did a set like this one but I think they're a little boring? She's so lovely, though.

original.jpg

2. I like the color one! — Very attractive model.

The B&W, the eyes seem to be over sharpened. I think that is distracting from the rest of the picture.

Vince

3. pretty model
    nice job on the first 2.... but, i'm not a fan of that bit of sepia in those b/w conversions
    the color one is nice... but, as you said... the background is boring

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Laura,
    I like the black and white very much. And, Greg, I like the bit of sepia in the B&W. I guess it's a personal preference thing.....

5. The black and white truly reveal her. Keep it up Laura, you are onto something magic here.

6. thanks for the comments. i've been trying very hard to get a good, simple portrait and.. i don't feel satisfied yet but getting better which is enough for now :)

7. No. 1 for sure. Beautiful woman and you've caught her. The eyes draw you in.

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I really like the first one, it feels real and "organic", while the second one washes out the image a bit.

9. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    #1 causes me to focus on her eyes; #2 causes me to focus on her hair and jawline and the triangle they create.

10. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I really like number 1. I am a fan of this type eye treatment. I like some sepia

number 2 - I like for the pose. I like the skin, eyes, pose. The back ground seems to be pulling my eyes down away from her face? Just kind of bright. But I like the picture.

The color doesnt really interest me?

BTW - I really like your work. Keep it up.

11. now that i look at them more I can see that the second has more distraction from the eyes, which is what i was trying to avoid of course, and that's why I probably liked the first one better in the first place. so thanks for those comments!

12. I like the first B&W one... although I'm with Greg on the sepia bit... I'd like to see it straight B&W. I like the closeup of the shot versus #2.

13. Hi Laura,
    Here is what I would have done. Also, I think she has the look to be a Ralph Lauren model. You may want to send some pictures to Major Model Management in NYC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]