First one with 85mm

Discussion in 'People' started by Removed User 3, Jun 13, 2007.

1. 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  2. Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    It's a tad blurred on my end...could be my monitor tho. I would crop it a little tighter.
  3. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

looks a tad soft here too and I would also agree on a tighter crop.
  4. ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    It was shot at f/1.4 and at 85mm FL I bet one eye was the focal point and that is why it seems soft. Good shot, but back down to f5.6 or so for the best effect. Shorter lenses can get away with big aperture, longer lenses cannot.
  5. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Hey Sparkey, congrats on the new 85mm lens.

Is this your daughter? She is a beautiful girl and has wonderful eyes.

I agree with the previous two posters about it being a little soft. Its hard to tell whether its due to focus or camera shake. It looks like you shot it at f1.4 which can really be tricky. Always try to focus on the eye closest to the camera. I usually focus on the lower eyelashes and have had pretty good luck with that.

Try some tighter cropping to eliminate some of the dead space in the frame.

The 85 is a great lens and will reward you with some wonderful and unique shots once you get the hang of it. I look forward to seeing more of your shots.

Where in Ireland are you? My wife and I have vacationed there a few times and we absolutely love the country.

Kind regards,
  6. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice picture of a beautiful little girl - what gorgeous eyes. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Tom on the lens. I am still trying to master my 85 1.4 after 6 months using it. However, when I get a shot right using my 85 there's nothing like it.
  7. Thanks Tom for the tips. Exactly what I was looking for as this lens is very sharp and need good technique. Have used f 4.0 for next few shots and notice difference. Still experimenting as only have it for less than week.
    Living in the capital city of Dublin if you round this way again soon.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007

8. Thanks Paul will try that next time.
  9. Uncle Frank advised to use f 4.0 or higher but I just wanted to see how it would perform without flash. Practise makes perfect I hope.