First outing w/ my 70-300VR

Discussion in 'People' started by Aqualung, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Just got a 70-300VR and used it this past weekend at my nephew's HS graduation. Here's a couple of shots w/ the 70-300VR. I like the lens but did find it a bit long at times, will have to get used to it.

C&C welcome as always....

My cousin's son....
    byron.

Me Mum, guess I shoulda moved her off that ratty seat cushion...:redface:
    grame.

2. Congrats on the new purchase!! One thing about candid people portraits is that you have to shoot at just the right moment, or as close to it as possible. While both shots are good, neither does anything for your subjects.

3. thanks, can you elaborate, i.e. a smile woulda been better?

4. Smiles are almost always better, key word "almost". But for candids, frowns work as well just like any other facial expression. The somewhat blank stares of your subjects are a bit confusing. They don't tell (me) anything. Maybe if you could explain why they look the way they do, it would help. From my perspective, candids should capture an emotion, joy, sadness, happiness, anger, etc.

Maybe a different crop of each would do the trick? Maybe portrait orientation? I'm not sure.

As to not take your thread off topic, I'll PM you a link or two that kind of explains what I'm talking about.

5. Thanks Keith, I see what you're saying...I think this is better?
    brian.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

but these 2 speak volumes ...like most h/s graduations, they were probably bored..lol
    :biggrin:

7. Yup! He looks pretty happy to me... :biggrin:

8. cheers, guys...thanks for the help...

9. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Hey Keith, I'd like to see that link also.

Doug