1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Outing with PN-11 - Damsels

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I received my PN-11 extension tube the other day but due to work, had no chance to try it out.... until this morning after work.:biggrin:

These are the first images with my 300mm w/Pn-11
    The focus is incredibly sensitive and the dang wind was gently blowing so it made it a bit dificult....but here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    WOW!!! Nice job!

#2 and #5 are great! Nice shooting!

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nicely done, particually 2 and 4

4. WOW! I been thinking about trying my cheap Kenkos some day. what are PN-11?

and how come i can never see anything on a cool flower instead of old sticks when I go. hehehh

5. I also like 2 and 5 the best. They both have bristles that are real sharp, that adds to the amazingness of it. But also the composition, setting and background are nice.

6. Great shots. That baby looks like a little shiny blue metallic robot! I can never get anything nearly that good with my 300 and tc. I guess it's a different application, but is the pn-11 any easier to use?

7. Very nice damsels and fly! Very close up for such tiny little things. I like #2 and #3 which seem more crisp. And the first fly...ewwww. Now that gives me more than I wanted to know. Tell us, what is the advantage of using a PN-11 over a teleconverter?

8. Very nice shots. Looks like you made great use of those tubes.

9. Excellent shots.

10. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you Karen,
    This was the first time I have ever shot with an extension tube, so it was a learning experience.

Thanks Robert.

Glen,
    The PN-11 is Nikons extension tube and is 52.5mm. It supports only metering, without AF support. What you call a cool flower was actually a weed.. commonly called Queen Anne's Lace. :smile:

Thanks Brad,
    I have to fine tune my technique for the extension tube.

Jim,
    Thank you...
    I have never used a TC with my lens so I'm not sure if it is easier... but it is definately harder than the lens by its self.

Birgit,
    Thanks...
    A TC increases your effective focal length (Gives your lens a longer reach.) and the extension tubes decrease your minimum focusing distance while increasing magnification. As I said above... this was my very first try with an extension tube. There may be some tricks I don't know about, or missed.

11. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you... I'm trying:smile:

Thanks Vinh

12. Teleconverters reduce the image quality because of the extra glass. Extension tubes don't have any glass element, therefore they do not affect the image quality.

13. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Good Point Vinh, I forgot to add that. Thank you.

14. Great shots Paul.

I've been playing around with my Kenko tubes and the Nikon 300/4 AF-S and really like the results. I mostly use a 12mm tube so working distance is about 1m and gives me plenty of room so the subjects aren't startled by me.

15. Nice series, Paul!

PN-11 is a fun to use, isn´t it...

16. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent shots Paul. Good luck with the tube. The closer you get the more the wind is a nuisance.

17. Glen,
    The PN-11 is Nikons extension tube and is 52.5mm. It supports only metering, without AF support. What you call a cool flower was actually a weed.. commonly called Queen Anne's Lace.

Yes I know the name, roots taste exactly like carrots. just never get luck seeing anything land on anything aside a stick, etc.

I think my kenkos support focus not that that matters much. I wonder if tubes support the vr in the lens or is that inherent in the lens itself. hmmmm must try

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.