First photo w/VR lens

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Mar 27, 2007.

1. After being on pins and needles all day, the big brown truck finally rolled up to my house just shortly after 6. After getting the kids fed, I took off for a short walk to see what this lens could do. Well, I'm not sure what to expect since this is my first VR, but here's something I got with it. I think I'm happy with it but dunno what some of the buttons are for - I don't have the paperwork on it yet.

437000476_a46b357ecb_o.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shot
    You will like the lens Dianne

3. Thanks Gale! I still had to do some cropping, but the mocking bird seemed to "have patience" with me as I checked my camera settings. The only one I forgot was the WB. Overall I think I'm gonna like it when I get used to it. I've gotten so used to using my tripod, it felt strange not having that support!

4. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Nice to see my old lens going to a great home and finally being put to great use!! Keep up the great work Dianne! Enjoy......

5. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    Your off to a good start Dianne!
    Your gonna love it.

Bill

6. Well, Stuart you can be assured this sweetie will have the best home ever, used and well taken care of! Next step will be a pelican for it to go on the valkyrie. Thanks!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill! I think I'm gonna love it too! Even though I didn't have good light for long, I was happy with a few shots that I took with it. On some of them I forgot to check settings! :redface: I can hardly wait to get out and play more!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The shot looks pretty good. Which VR lens?

8. Thanks Flew!
    I bought "Ottrot's human's" (Stuart) 18-200mm VR. I forgot to check the WB though when I shot the mocker. :redface: I mostly wanted the lens for motorcycle trips, but think it's gonna be getting a thorough workout!

9. How far from the bird were you?

Looks good a clear I look at the eye and point of the beak.

Looks like you got a winner. Lets see what you can do.

You Go Girl!!!!!!

10. Thanks Gary! I was several feet away as the bird was above me on a wire. I just had my built in flash on and just tried to get a good one. Guess I did! :biggrin:

11. Nice Dianne! Congrats on the lens.

I shot a concert the other night for a choral society. No flash allowed. Not much physical movement allowed either. I had my 18-200VR, Sigma 70-200, Nikkor 50 f/1.8, and 35 f/2. I was shocked but the 18-200 got the best shots by far (taking into consideration everything -- including composition). great lens!

12. Congrats Dianne on the new lens! You're going to love the versatility the 18-200 has to offer. Shoot lots and can't wait to see more of your pics.

13. Thanks! I've been drooling over everyone elses photos with it, and after doing more research, figured it would be great to have on motorcycle trips. I was lucky that Ottrot's human was willing to sell it to me! :biggrin:

Thanks! I'm already starting to see it's a fun lens to have when a tripod isn't practical! I'm looking forward to getting out more and seeing just what all I can do with this lens!

14. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Nice shot!with handheld you can shoot more inflight bird shots!

15. Very nice - congrats on the new baby in the family!! *LOL*

16. Thanks! Now ya tell me! I just got my jubo jr ordered! I'm looking forward to getting out more with this fun lens! I'll have to try a few birdies in flight!

17. I think this will be a nice "walk around" lens for you. specifically, a great "has to fit on the motorcycle saddle bag" lens...

How far were you from the bird? Is this a crop?

18. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Congratulations, Dianne. There's really nothing like seeing that brown truck roll up to your door, is there? :biggrin:

19. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Nice shot Dianne. Congratulations with your new lens.

20. Thanks Jim! The motorcycle is exactly why I wanted it! I think it had to be several feet away. I got as close to the wire as I could and yes, it was cropped.

Thanks! LOL, I think I may have scared the driver with my excitement! :redface: I was definitely on pins and needles, scared to do anything more than wait at the door, play at the puter by the door, I even talked Mark into picking the kids up from tutoring and piano lessons. Had I known the truck wouldn't arrive until after 6, I think I would have been a bit more relaxed - relaxed? Well maybe not.

Thanks Torben! I'm planning on playing as much as I can!