First Photoshoot - Shelbey

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by dx379, Aug 21, 2008.

1. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Guys/Girls,

Here are a couple of pictures from my first photoshoot. This is my first ever so please be gentle. I do not know how to use Photoshop (taking my first class on Saturday) but I did some basic editing.

CC welcome (just remember I am a newb at this) :tongue:

Shelbey_0208copy.

View attachment 241674

Regards,
    Jonny

2. I like the first one, even with the highlights.

The second one, appears soft and if you're going to cut off the tips of the fingers, you might as well cut the hand out completely. The "hot" rock wall she's leaning on distracts from her IMO.

3. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    She's pretty cute, Jonny!

I pretty much agree with Phil's comments on the two shots.

You might pick up a reflector (or some foamcore from Michaels) and add that into the mix and see if you can get some good fill in the face without having to blow highlights elsewhere.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The first shot is interesting. The blown background is a popular look at present, so if that's what you were aiming for . . good job.

The second image is definitely soft and the light is too harsh. If you have to shoot under high sun, try to find open shade for your subject, and light with a reflector or strobe. That wall would have made an excellent backdrop, so try to make it more a part of the final image.

5. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Thank you everyone for your constructive criticism. I am learning new things everyday so will pay particular attention to everything you have said.

Thanks again,
    Jonny

6. Hi Jonny...

The first shot is pretty nice; The second is too soft.

It looks like the girls waist band is in focus (which is also about the centre of the frame).

I know this sounds basic, but try to focus on the eyes - You can then reframe with the shutter held half way down to hold the focus.

Choosing a higher Aperture setting will also allow you more depth of field, which will forgive the focusing a little.

Keep at it! The only way to learn is to practice!

Welcome to the Forum btw!

Paul

7. VERY nice first attempt and gorgeous model.
    In first, It is a little "blown out" but actually works well in this instance. Great facial expression (NOT easy to get from many models) and only thing I really see is that I would have preferred the "relaxed" hand to be reaching at the back of the shoe or somthing rather than "hanging there" as it were.
    Second image, already mentioned are the focus and "blown" bits. In addition, I would have angled her sligtly (her body that is). She is VERY beautiful but an angled shot of her body (dos'nt take much) would IMO been that bit more flattering to her figure and also provided a little more "substance" to the overall image.

8. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Either a reflector or I often work with 'flags' which block light to make things more open and even it out... either way, it's personal preference. It's a great start, just learn to watch your lighting a bit better and expose for those highlights. I've found goofing with the various metering modes gives me lots of different options too.

Great work! keep it up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.