First pics w/ 300 f4

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cknight, Jul 31, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I went with Flew and Greg to the dam yesterday to try out my new gear (300 f4, tripod, sidekick).
    The sky was overcast and the birds weren't doing a darn thing:x . I think we need to fire these and find some new birds.
    But even if the goobers weren't cooperating I had fun and I think I will like my new stuff. I just need to get used to tracking them on a gimble as opposed to handholding. I also needed to bump up the ISO and shutter speed.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here are some of the better pics (most are crops, and are taken with 300/4 and TC1.4):

This guy got him a big one. But it was too big to flip so he threw it back.
    DSC_2378web.
    DSC_2379web.

Just a dragonfly I found
    DSC_2406web.

Probably the only decent flight shot of the day
    DSC_2437web.

As Frank and I were leaving, we saw these guys on the side of the road. Probably the best shots of the day, and they had to be of the garbage collectors. :roll:
    The did however ask for directions to Gale's house. Frank just told them it was somewhere in east FL. :wink:
    DSC_2454web.
    DSC_2456web.

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great shots, really like the GBH and big fish. Gotta get me a TC for my 300f4 soon!!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They ALLLLLLLLLL know just where I live !!!!!!!!!!!

Good images.

Love the GBH and the Fish.

Nice and pretty blue dragon fly also.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent captures with your new goodies Chris. I had about the same luck as you did. Not the most ideal shooting conditions Saturday, and you are right; the birdies just weren't flying that day.

Guess we'll just have to go back and try again. :wink:

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks for the comments guys (and gal).

6. Nice series with your new combo, looks like your going to have a ton of fun with it!! Its amazing the size of fish those GBH's eat. LOL Nice flight shot too!!! Look forward to seeing many more!

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Chris,

I like the GBH flight shot and the buzzard.

I think you will like the setup you have.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Great shots, Chris! You should come down here to Florida, the birds are always flying around here.....aren't they Gale? ;)

9. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I'm going to try to make it down for the next Merritt session. But with it being around the holiday I'm not sure how it will work out (ie. will mom kill me?).
    If not this time, I'll make it down there before too long. I'd like to shoot something besides GBHs.