1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First picture from Nikon

Discussion in 'People' started by Daniel Bates, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    Well, it's my dad's Nikon. But I get to show him how to use it... :smile:

D40, 18-135, SB 400 bounced off the ceiling, green box mode
    DSC_0001.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My dad was the photographer. I was the model, unfortunately for y'all... maybe I should have posted a warning in the title!

--Daniel

2. Good fun, you do look serious though!!!!!!
    Looks a little dark on my screen as well.
    Keep it up Dan.

3. A little levels adjustment would bring it right where it needs to be. Look forward to more pctures Daniel. BTW, whats the story behind the picture you are holding? It looks nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Love that artwork! Did you do that?
    The pic however, is a little dark.
    A little rule of thumb, if you meter in Matrix mode, and this was according to my exif plugin, and the subject is darker than the background, you need to add positive EV Comp. Get him out of "Green" mode asap, and get him to at least shoot in Program mode. That way, he can be in control of some of the camera's exposure decisions if he wants to, unlike full Auto, which you can't made any decisions for yourself. The camera's truly a P&S in Auto.
    I got myself one of those great little SB400's recently too, and find it really benefits from the addition of a bounce card, vs soley bouncing off the ceiling.

5. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks guys! I read the manual and figured out how to operate the thing last night (it's rather different than I'm used to!), so I should be able to coach him into A mode.

The picture is one of a set I took a few weeks ago, the last ones from my old Canon gear. I shot it in a hotel room, with two SB 24's bounced off a 'reflector' (two pillows stacked on top of each other) directly behind the model. The light produced a strong backlit effect, with some fringing of course, and I manipulated that in PS a little to produce the final version. I wanted to play with intentional fringing, and it came out okay, I think!

Rebel XT, 70-200/2.8 at 125mm f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/125, PW Plus II's and SB 24's provided the light.
    15bc5939.jpg

79f2e746.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.