First picture posting at the cafe...please helpme improve

Hello everyone - I'm a big lurker here and though it was time to get involved (please see my intro here)

I'm finding the lack of people willing to pose for me along with the kit lens I currently have very limiting but that is a different story. However I managed to use my brothers Sony A200 (I know its a Nikon site and more from me will be Nikon) and a few of his fast lens over the weekend on a willing friend and the attached are some which I am happier with. However I would like to have some advice as to how it could be improved firstly when taking the photos and secondly in photoshop. I am aware that the WB is out (any ideas how this can be fixed in PS on jpg images? Please feel free to post any photoshop changes you make and if possible document them for my learning if you have time. Thanks for taking the time to read and review

Vu5ter

2503942248_4233fbf98b_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 193675

2503925356_2013124c58.png

View attachment 193677

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I love your composition. Had these been taken a bit sharper and with some white balance tweeking, they would be just amazing. However, just the composition alone is great!!!! It is harder to learn that, than technique, lighting, etc. As for whitebalance I use Lightroom which essentially has a temperature slider or whitebalance adjustment. Here is what Auto white balance did, along with some slight vignetting, noise reduction, red saturation reduction, etc. I'm sure the possibilities would be much better by someone else or if we had a full res image. But hopefully this will help a bit... again, excellent eye you have. And welcome to the forum. You have a great kit to start with and can't wait to see what you post.

2503960083_6f4818f824_o.png

Thanks for your kind words Kurt. I'll have a play with them this evening I've attached links to the full res photos below (was unsure of the etiquette so erred on the side of caution).

I did notice that it was not as sharp and was not sure whether this is a natural characteristics of the lens (all photos was shot wide opened) or whether it is something to do with my copious caffeine intake (probably latter). If the former, do you think by keeping the same shutter speed but stopping the apperture down a touch or 2, the underexposed photo can be saved by PS?

Thanks

Vu

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2503942248_4233fbf98b_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2503978422_1c4c734894_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2503925356_2013124c58_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2503091301_44b144a12e_b.jpg

Could be that it was wide open, it looks like there was limited light. What sort of shutter speeds were you using, I couldn't get exif data from the linked image. Nonetheless I wouldn't suggest purposely underexposing to get the aperture stopped down because bringing it back up will just add more noise. You might as well just add more ISO in camera to allow you to stop down the lens without losing too much shutter speed. Her hair also really lends itself to some BW images: (some sharpening, vignetting, BW conversion using a Fred Miranda plug in for PS).

2504929176_1158b13ea9.png

Welcome to the Cafe.

You have some nice compositions here, but they all look soft and the first two are underexposed.

Perhaps posting the EXIF would be helpful so we could make some suggestions. Did you use a tripod? Focus can be tough wide open. Perhaps you missed or just didn't have enough light at your ISO setting.

Hi Vu...
Welcome to the Cafe. I tried to check your exif data but nothing came up. Share your settings and we can let you know what we can help you with.

By looking at the images, it looks as tho you didn't use any flash fill. The WB looks a little warm. Fill me in and we can help. I will say I love your composition...nice poses you got going there...and lovely model.

Could be that it was wide open, it looks like there was limited light. What sort of shutter speeds were you using, I couldn't get exif data from the linked image. Nonetheless I wouldn't suggest purposely underexposing to get the aperture stopped down because bringing it back up will just add more noise. You might as well just add more ISO in camera to allow you to stop down the lens without losing too much shutter speed. Her hair also really lends itself to some BW images: (some sharpening, vignetting, BW conversion using a Fred Miranda plug in for PS).

2504929176_1158b13ea9.png

Thanks Kurt never thought about the BW conversion but it looks great what you've done will try to emulate later on (can you give me a hint as to what vignetting is?:confused:

Welcome to the Cafe.

You have some nice compositions here, but they all look soft and the first two are underexposed.

Perhaps posting the EXIF would be helpful so we could make some suggestions. Did you use a tripod? Focus can be tough wide open. Perhaps you missed or just didn't have enough light at your ISO setting.

Mitchell the EXIF are as follows: I didn't use a tripod as I can't get on well with them. The light was really challenging hence I wanted to shoot wide open but suggestions are more then welcome. I have very broad shoulders lol

Picture 1
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/1.7
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Picture 2
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/1.7
Focal Length: 50 mm

Picture 3
Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 70 mm

Picture 4
Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 70 mm

Hi Vu...
Welcome to the Cafe. I tried to check your exif data but nothing came up. Share your settings and we can let you know what we can help you with.

By looking at the images, it looks as tho you didn't use any flash fill. The WB looks a little warm. Fill me in and we can help. I will say I love your composition...nice poses you got going there...and lovely model.

Thanks Seneca I will pass on your compliment to the model and hopefully she'll let me shoot more of her :wink: There was no flash involved as I find it not very flattering on the model with 'burned out area' hope you know what I mean but off course happy to take any advice on board

Welcome. You are off to a good strt!

Thanks lincolninked

By the sounds of it at least I got something right in the composition so I'm well chuffed at the moment. Just need a faster prime so I can practice on my own camera for the type of shots I do:smile:

Vu

Latest threads

Top Bottom