First Planned "People" Photoshoot with Girlfriend

I am trying to branch out a bit more from automotive photography and want to try my hand at fashion, portrait and event photography. I have been lurking in the People sub-forum for some time now, gathering ideas and technical info as best I can. This past weekend, my girlfriend and I headed down to the Arboretum to shoot a bit and get some practice.

I really love all the naturally lit shots that I see and I decided to do the same, with no off camera flash for the shoot. I did bring along a reflector. Shot with a D700, 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8. I ended up loving the 85 for this purpose.

I have to say, it's harder than it looks! I'm happy with my first attempt, and would love to hear any CC that you more seasoned portrait photogs have for me. Be honest, it will only make me better!

Theo

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was going to toss this one initially, but I thought it had kind of a "monroe-esque" quality to it. Maybe, maybe not, haha.

My personal favorite of the set.

- (Only realized while editing that you're not supposed to shoot up into the nose...oh well. Now I know for next time!)

- The possibly overdone upside-down shot

- Trying my hand at sunflare.

Theo, these are really nice. You did a great job posting your model, and your photos are spot on. My only nit-pick is the pose in #8 - at first I thought she was facing away from her and turning around. It's confusing to my eyes. Also, #10 - the up-the-hose shot doesn't bother me so much as her stiff chin. It's almost like she's angry.

But seriously, man. Fantastic photos! Really very, very nice.

Thanks very much Mike! I can definitely see what you mean on 8 now...I hadn't seen it before, but now it's all I can see, haha. I agree on the chin in #10 too, I think if I'd shot that one above eye level it would've been much better.

Thanks for your critique!

very nice, i can definitely tell the 85 1.8 was used it has a very distinct bokeh that i love.

i do like the the hazy look from shooting into the sun or light source and great job on the post processing.

dont gf's make the best models? instant feedback and very supportive

You got some REALLY great shots! I particularly like 3 (great pose and composition), 10 (I really like the lens flare actually) and 13 (great lighting, did you use strobes?).

very nice, i can definitely tell the 85 1.8 was used it has a very distinct bokeh that i love.

i do like the the hazy look from shooting into the sun or light source and great job on the post processing.

dont gf's make the best models? instant feedback and very supportive
thanks! i love the 85 so much. now to save for the 1.4...

Great job Theo!
:biggrin:

Hey Theo, I think your girlfriend is pretty and you did a nice job on the pictures.
Thanks very much!

You got some REALLY great shots! I particularly like 3 (great pose and composition), 10 (I really like the lens flare actually) and 13 (great lighting, did you use strobes?).
Thanks so much! Nope, only natural lighting. No strobes.

nice job theo! she is quite lovely!
Thanks very much

Yeah, I realized that after someone had pointed it out. It's like an optical illusion, haha. Thanks very much!

Nice work Theo, good to see you experimenting with the poses and angles. She has a serious look in all the shots though, I'm sure she has a great smile!!:wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom