1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First portrait post

Discussion in 'People' started by SteepNDeep, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I was the official photographer of a music camp which my sons attended this Summer. Here is one of the pictures I took at that time. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions.

[​IMG]

80-200 push-pull @86mm • ISO 200 f/2.8 1/640s

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like the composition and overall I like the photograph. However, the full width watermark across her face was so distracting that it was difficult to enjoy the image.

3. I too find the watermark very distracting for this image as it is so close to her eyes.
    Perhaps you could move it or remove it for a better view please.
    Composition is pretty good though with her looking up at the lens which makes for a good angle.

4. Hey, Al,

Your image is just beautiful. Ditto, the watermark, though. Lovely subject with lovely eyes. I can see why you wanted to post this shot. Very nicely done! Did you help her to pose in that position or did you just catch her at the right time?

BTW, welcome to the Cafe! Keep posting shots this good and you'll give the great photogs on the site a real run for their money! Let's see some more.

There are some really fine shooters who hang out here and they have lots of great suggestions, all offered with kindness and grace. I've learned lots and I'm sure everyone on the Cafe has had a similar experience.

5. Thanks for all your responses. Yes, the watermark is obtrusive to me, too. But as she is someone else's kid, I need due diligence. I have replaced the picture with one that has a moved down and tuned down watermark. I hope this can strike a better balance.

No, the picture was not posed. I was just walking around with the camera during lunch hour, looking out for opportunities like this. "Catching them at their cutest" is what I strive for :wink:

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Your image is beautiful. A couple of things I would do...

A. Darken that background just a tad - she has beautiful blonde hair - you want to emphasis that hair.

B. Photoshop (out) some of those stray hairs going across her forehead.

C. Try and heal out her dark circles around her eyes.

If you need help - let me know and I'll show you what I mean by the above.

Again...beautiful image.

Sen.

P.S. Be very careful when posting other kids images (not your own)...this could pose a problem for you if you are pro.

7. Hi Seneca,

Thank you for your kind words. Does it look better like this?

[​IMG]

I have to admit, though, I like all the stray hairs, it make her more natural, less...prim and proper, if you will. One reason I dislike studio posed shots, is that a great majority are so stiff, especially with kids.

Thanks for your reminder. I am mindful of the precaution I must take when posting OPK (other people's kids) pictures. Hence the watermarks. (I do have permission to put it online, though.) Do you think what I have done is adequate? Not enough?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  8. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I love the depth of field you chose. The bokah is very nice.

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ahhh yes much better. The eyes are still a little dark (circles)...but as a photographer I look at all this and make sure that my clients are paying me to make them look better. I always offer touching up as an extra fee. Some say don't do it...but the majority tell me to do it. The background looks great!

But you're right...this is not a posed image but it still has a great studio look to me, it's why I commented on fixing certain things. Great image.

10. Hmm, I don't know. After posting the edited version, I was second-guessing myself. May be I am overdoing it, and had made the shadows too light, and as a result, her face look too two-dimensional. Don't you think so?

11. Yes. I love the bokeh, too. The 80-200 is certainly my favorite lens.

12. The picture was taken at noon on a sunny July day in the shadow of a building. Comparing the two, the original does better reflect that "Summery" feel. It shows off the bokeh better, too.

Thanks for your comment!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.