First Portrait w/Nikon 105mm F2 DC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by galupi20, May 10, 2007.

1. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    [​IMG]

Nikon 105mm F2 DC at 5.6 Front 5.6

The background was made working with Mask Pro 4.1. I was searching wich aperture combination give me the sharpest images with this lens and my D2Xs

Luis

2. Very nice shot .Enjoy you new lens.

3. Is it just a Nikon thing to underexpose so much? "protecting the highlights" I guess some call it...pictures just look muddy and dull. Is it a metering thing or are we just really paranoid about blowing highlights?

It's a good test picture...though a bit dim and cold gray. My personal taste tells me to get the light first, then worry about the sharpness and all the other little details afterwards. Consider making it about 1/2 stop or more brighter...because it's kind of depressing with the current exposure. Also a warmer white balance may cut out just a little bit of the harsh blue from the straight-on flash.

Congrats on the 105/2...it's a good lens, but it doesn't make magical portraits automatically, no matter what combination of aperture size and DC setting you use. The key is and will always be the amount and quality of light.

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Gorgeous shot Luis!

5. blessedLens

blessedLens

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    I agree with what Tierdaen said.

6. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks a lot Tierdaen..You are right...too much thinking in sharpness and forget the basic of lighting in cases like this.
    Thanks again.
    Luis

7. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois

Another thought would be to apply a custom curve to brighten up just the mid-range some (about 1/3 stop). I use the Photogenics EV3 V4 curve in my D2Hs and it removes the 'slight underexposure' look of the images.

Here's an example without the curve:
    151286148-L.

Here's the same image with the stated curve applied:
    View attachment 94824

Technical: D2Hs with 200 f/2 VR at f/2.

Sean

8. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    SMH77.... Those are some seriously cute kids!!!
    I like the first photo better.
    HHARRIS
    :)

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

beautiful little girl, sharp but underexposed....;-))

10. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks to all. I learn a lot with you.
    ( To Edwardneal ) : I have read near all your posts about this lens in this site and in Dpreview and sent you and email asking about it. I dont know why i can't get sharp pictures with DC Neutral at F2, F2.8 and F4 like the photo of SMH77's kids at F2 Neutral. Any suggestion ?
    Luis

11. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    [​IMG]

After a little PP

Luis

12. Nice pics!

BTW:
    I think the DC feature isn't really visible when stopped down to 5.6. You get the max effect wide open. From what I know to get good sharpness it should be set to max the same value as the used f-stop.
    So when shooting f2, set it to max F2 or R2 to get more blur in Front or Rear. When shooting at f2.8 set it to max. F2.8 or R2.8.....

IF you set it to more then the f-stop value you will get a softener effect on the whole picture. So it's strange that your 105DC would be sharpest at F5.6. I suspect it might be wrong with it (maybe not calibrated OK).

Best set it on a tripod and make some shots at all f-stops and all DC settings to find out more.

13. If the DC feature set to neutral seriously affects sharpness, it may be due to a shifting focus point. Check your lens to see if it focuses in front of or behind your intended focus point...and you may want to send it to Nikon for calibration. I've heard of this happening with a few people, and after the lens was calibrated, the users were pleased as punch.

14. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks Michael..I took more than 150 pictures trying this lens at all combinations possible include what you said at F2 Front 2 or Rear 2, F2.8 Front 8 or Rear 8, etc. When buying this lens i was looking for soft but sharp pictures too wide open. You are right ....at F5.6 Front 5.6 i cant get what this lens is made for.

Luis

15. Another thing to mind:

After changing the DC setting you have to refocus! otherwise focus will be off.

16. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Refocus was made in every shot i take...This is why i'm asking all of you about what to do. I will try wit D2Hs and D200 and see what happen
    Thanks

17. Luis, the initial picture is not very good. At least not in the way it looks like on my screen. It is lifeless, bluish and the made-up background is not nice at all. But we all shoot uninteresting or unsuccesful pictures when we try a new lens, it is normal, because we want to justify the lens and we are not thinking of the picture much.
    We also overrate the value of the cameras and lenses in use. Most times we could do the same pictures with a different camera/lens. The 105DC is one of the best Nikkors though.
    Robert, I mostly agree with you, but I actually prefer the "protecting the highlights" method that Nikon uses. I can then decide if/when I want to burn some of them.
    Sean, these are two absolutely fantastic kids!!! This is the best kid's picture that I saw for months! (I don't like your applied curve though, sorry... :biggrin: )

PS. The most dangerous thing with the two DC Nikkors is that people bother too much with the DC function.

18. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Many thanks to all of you again
    Luis