1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First portraits, CC please

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by rocket88, Sep 10, 2008.

1. These are my first real portraits with my D300. I was using a 50 1.8 and a combination of a sb-800 through a soft box and a sb-600 with a diffuser. I know I made some mistakes with positioning the lights, creating shadows, but I am pretty happy with the results. I also need to learn some more about posing, kind of ran out of ideas and most of her poses just look the same. I did a little PP on these, a bit of pop to the eyes, fixed some blemishes here and there. Please let me know what you think.

2846375658_e1ed89951c_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2846369586_51e1fd736c_b.jpg

2846366160_a6071a1bd4_b.jpg

2846360142_b929f0c1c6_b.jpg

2846372242_f9331dfc4e_b.jpg

2846378360_881726b79d_b.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Love the first and the 5ths ones the best. Second one, don't care for the smile. Number 3 doesn't work for me because she's standing square to the image, which makes shoulders look broad. The lighting is pretty good though, but you need to touch up the shadows on her face. They make it look a bit blotchy. Number 4 looks soft to me, plus I think the flash is a bit too hard on her face. Looks obvious. You've pulled off flash use when you can't tell the flash was used, if that makes sense. Number 5, I like it, but don't like the fact that the flash was fired from below and straight in front of her. It has cast an ugly shadow above her head on the wall behind her. Number 6 is pretty nice, but the harsh shadow on the wall and amputated left hand take away from it overall. Generally it's a bad idea to crop a limb off at a joint.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    All are great. Number #3 should of had some distance...the first thing you look at is boob. I suspect she has a bikini on...why not put emphasis on the whole body instead of just the top portion. JMHO FWIW...

Good job.

4. nr 1 is good, nr 2 the totempole is in here head(not a good thing), nr 3 is a boring composition(never put the person like that in the middle, just didnt work for me either), same goes with nr 4, to centered. nr 5, kinda boring b/w, should have more contrast in it if anything,but the composition is atleast better, but just one thing, if the rest is coloured, and u suddenly use b/w, it just brakes the looks, and sometimes that might be good, but in this case, im sorry it just didnt help the picture. Nr 6 is abit pale, perhaps put more brightness on. But good effort anyways!

5. For your first go at it, you did darn good. Lighting, sharpness, and (most) poses are fine. You are, and should be happy - proud of the samples. I notice the model seems to have one smile, mix that up a little. She is pretty!

6. Thanks for the comments everyone, she was almost as new to this as me and I think we both learned quite a bit here and will gain from it.

7. talking about them, individually:

1. great shot... but, when you shoot against a brick wall... with well-defined lines... you have to watch how the shot ends up. it is distracting to the eyes to see the lines going DOWN to the LEFT. otherwise, a very nice shot

2. i don't like the perspective and the way her face looks here... at a nitpick, the lips need some post-processing

3. uneven hair light color/needs more hair light on top... but, i DO like the way this one turned out

4. too much backlighting... her skin texture doesn't look right here. look at the vastly different look to her skin in this image compared to #3

5. excellent..... but, once again, the angle your camera took to the subject makes the LINES go DOWN to the LEFT.... this CAN be fixed with some post-processing, however

6. cute shot. i'd clone OUT that bright spot in the upper-left part of this image

pretty lady
    nice shooting

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.