First portraits with the 50 1.8....

So I need to really work more with this lens - and also figure out how to shoot people with glasses so I don't get as much reflection (would a circular polarizer filter help?) Be gentle - as I'm used to shooting wildlife :) maybe I should have cropped these portrait style - oops

but anyway my Dad and my Grandmother (his mom) were patient enough to let me shoot away today. These were both taken at 1.8.

grandma01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dad01.jpg

I think these are outstanding. Especially wide open which is not the sharpest, cleanest aperture on this lens. But great work. Love the bokeh.

Nice work on the technical aspects of it, focus is spot on. Now for the hard part, working on composition. It's hard to get out of the habit of putting the people dead center in the shot. I'm working on trying to make my composition more interesting, slight tilt to the camera, getting more of the background scene, etc.

But it looks like you've really got the hang of this lens!

Thanks for the compliments guys :) I've never delved in to people pictures (mine never turned out very good before - but I must admit the nifty fifty makes it 'easy')

Here's another shot of my Dad wide open (croped and B&W converstion etc)

dad02.jpg

Hey Paul...
These are really nice... Well done...
I quite often attach my Kenko 1.4x TC to the 50 f/1.8,
and this gives you a 75 f/2.8 (105mm in 35mm equivalent)...
Works great....

thanks for the tip Wally - I'll have to try it when I get around to getting a TC (I want one for my 300 F4)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom