First post... Advertising image

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Shot with a D100, Nikkor 35-70 2.8, ISO 200, Alien Bees Softboxes.

Hard-hitting, constructive critiques welcome.

Thanks,
Woody

AAAtwyla.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

Rob G.

The only critics I can give..
is the advertisement for the watch? Cause my attention is drawn to an whole different area :p :p

It's a really amazing capture. And a gorgeous woman :shock:

Thanks for sharing Czechman.

Regards,
Rob.

Ps. add your front name at the bottom of your message with personal settings, so people know how to adress you.

fks

hi woody-

i agree with rob, it's a great photograph, but if you're trying to sell the watch, it's too small in the photo and doesn't stand out enough from the model. the model's arm also looks to be a bit too bulky. it would be cleaner if the strands of hair didn't cover her right eye.

did you retouch the model's skin?

ricky

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
fks said:
did you retouch the model's skin?

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I did retouch the skin... I doubt that anyone has skin that flawless :wink:

How does that arm look now that it's behind the logo?

Woody

AAAtwyla2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice studio work, Woody. Since the watch is the key element, I'd recrop to position it at one of the Rule of Thirds power points. I'd also work on the shadows from her hair directly above her index finger. They make it appear is if she has age related creases in her facial skin.

Jmho.

fks

hi woody-

i don't deal with models much, but i thought makeup can do wonders (been watching "america's top model" too much!).

the arm looks much better with the white type against it, the bulk is reduced. the black type at the bottom can be a bit hard to read in the shadow areas (admittedly my monitor at work is not calibrated).

ricky

Czechman01 said:
Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I did retouch the skin... I doubt that anyone has skin that flawless :wink:

How does that arm look now that it's behind the logo?

Woody

J

jkamphof

I think its great. Like most adverts you do not need the actual product to be the emphasis of the photo...hey, beauty sells and this girl has it!! I think if you put any more focus on the watch the advert becomes to practical, advertising has little to do with practical, only enticement....

I don't think any change is needed, it looks great.

Joel.

Woody,
First off, beautiful picture of a gorgeous model.
I like your composition and arrangement a lot. One personal critique, since you asked: For my taste the shadow behind her hand is a little too heavy (dark). Other then that, once again, Beautiful!
Thank you for posting.

jkamphof said:
I think its great. Like most adverts you do not need the actual product to be the emphasis of the photo...hey, beauty sells and this girl has it!! I think if you put any more focus on the watch the advert becomes to practical, advertising has little to do with practical, only enticement....

I don't think any change is needed, it looks great.

Joel.
I agree with Joel and think it's very well done.

For those advocating that the watch be more prominent look at some of the jewellery for trophy wives adverts in expensive mags (e.g. Architectural Digest or the like). The jewellery is usually portrayed so insignificantly in the image that, if you're a bloke, you would swear the ad is for cleavage or maybe boobie enhancement (not to be confused with Boobie Joe enhancement).

Neil

Woody,

I love the shot except for the dark circles under her eyes and the hair shadow on the right side of her face.

Mike

Hi Woody - Excellent photo you have presented us here. Beautiful model, excellent lighting and post production, and the comp is fabulous.

It's tough to crit since it's near perfection, but having delt with ad agencies before, I can offer you a crit on par with theirs. The lines beneath her eye should be removed, also her upper arm where it meets her chest looks "fat." I would never have used the word "fat" but one of my wedding clients is a graphic designer for an ad agency and her editors call girls in a size 4 too "fat!"

Hi Woody,

I think it's extremely well done. After looking at the model the only thing left is the watch and your eye is immediately drawn there looking for the reason for the advert (at least mine was). You didn't confuse us with garment straps, earings or anything else that might detract.

And with the text added it's much more obvious what the intent of the image is.

For my taste (and this is JUST me) I would have positioned the watch about a half-inch to an inch higher as it would have followed the line from her eyes -> lips -> wrist -> watch a bit cleaner but like I said, that is just me.

Wonderful lighting on the watch by the way!

_/oe

Latest threads

Top Bottom