First post in here so Hi! "CSM bank tips?"

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by lowlight_junkie, Nov 29, 2005.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi guys and gals, can anyone give me a good general combination of D2X settings for both banks when shooting flying birds? Its something I have no experience of and the results I am getting are a bit hit and miss (literally) A rough guide or a full rundown, either is good.
    Thanks all

2. Welcome to the forum...I am starting to learn about shooting birds so I can't give you an answer but I wanted to welcome you as a new member to the forum. Flew and Harris and others will be able to give that info to you because they shoot a lot of wildlife.

3. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Catz, thanks for the warm welcome. Have seen you around on Dpreview I think. In either the D70 or d2x forums (have both) Never even knew this place existed until recently, was searching for D2X settings and landed at the thread with the personal settings. Seems like a great and friendly place, already kicked my shoes off and have a feeling i may become part of the furniture pretty quickly. Once again thanks for the welcome, always nice to be met at the door by a pretty face :)

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the compliment. Yes I did hang out a lot on the Retouching Forum on dpr but not much anymore since I found this forum. Once in a while I would post on the D2X forum but I find this forum more friendly. Anyway, welcome again.

6. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Dave, people call me Chaz, I read the link before and while its full of good info I am mainly interested in specific focus modes etc. I am having trouble getting more than one in focus shot per 10 of birds in flight.

7. then i will quote another member
    a1-fps+rate
    a2-focus
    a3-pattern 2 center pattern
    a4- on

8. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks Dave, I will give it a go later today.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Chaz,

There's a good article over on The Nikonians that speaks about all the particular recommended D2X settings. Can't find it in my faves, or I'd post it. You know, much of the success in capturing birds, particularly in-flight birds, is good long lens/shooting technique. How much reach are you working with? Are you shooting from a tripod, or handheld?

10. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Steve, I have a fairly poor long range setup to be honest as I have never needed anything past 180mm before. I have a 100-300 Tokina ATX F4 and a kenko 1.4 300 DG TC. The lens is pretty slow but once I hit the spot it seems to be able to keep up. I am thinking of moving to the 300 f4 AFS nikon, I had the old Non s version but sold it a while ago as it was not being used. In all honesty I think the focus speed and quality was about the same as the Tokina.
    I have a few lenses to shift that are not being used (Nikon 17-35 2.8 afs - 35mm f2) so depending on what I get for them and the Tokina I will get a new long range lens. Any nice long fast lenses you could recommend?

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The 300 f4 coupled with the TC 1.4 is an excellent combination. It'll get you out to 420mm. Harris and Ben (bfjr) both use it with excellent results, and it's very good value for the money. You already got the ultimate cam, now it''s time for some good glass.