First Post in This Forum

Discussion in 'People' started by rlhaas, Jul 20, 2007.

1. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    I have been hanging around the Macro Forum for a while but thought I would post a couple of portraits of my grandsons. Any ideas on how to improve? The first is both of them together.

This next image is of one of my grandsons on a trip to the ocean. He posed with his "treasury."

View attachment 106883

The last image is of my other grandson (they are cousins exactly 6 months apart in age) on another beach. He does not like his picture taken and doesn't like to smile when he sees a camera taken out. I felt honored to get this shot.

View attachment 106884

Comments and critiques always welcome!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Second one is spot on
    The other two you could have used fill flash
    Try PS shadow/highlights if you have it

3. Don't take portraits in direct sun.

4. Hi Robin..
    Have to agree with Gale, the 2nd shot looks great, and the other 2 need a bit of work in the shadows... You really needed to use some fill flash when shooting in direct sunlight with shadows like you have... You picked tough lighting conditions to photograph you grand kids, but I suppose there are times you just have to catch the moment... Well done....

5. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Thanks for the comments Gale and Wally. It was harsh light conditions. Neither of these trips started out to be a photo session so I wasn't quite prepared for the lighting. I certainly could have used a flash! I have pushed both photos using fill flash in Lightroom/Photoshop. I may have to go back and do some more.

6. Welcome with your first thread here on the Cafe Robin. The advise given is good. I carry around a pop out diffuser and it solves the problem that Woody mentioned. Best to look for some shade but if it can not be found the diffuser will help a lot. Course you have to find someone to hold it for you.