First post of a D2X photo--is it underexposed?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by pbenedic, Mar 9, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    The colors may look bizarre, but in early spring in Napa, the colors really did look like this, honest.

2. Interesting shot - love the detail and colors and fantasy-like quality of the scene. The sky looks a little strange to me - maybe its the very dull blue. Scene is definitely contrasty, but I don't think I would call it underexposed unless you really lost detail in the dark shadows in lower left corner.

Nice work!

3. Nice picture. I like the green and red. :D :D :D

4. Pat -

It doesn't appear to be underexposed, but the hot area in the upper-left side and the darker area in the bottom left could create a misleading histogram. Pay more attention to the mid-tones and upper mid-tones and it will be easier to make a determination for this pic.

I'm just surprised that you're already seeing that much color in the trees! Seems early to me, but then I haven't been to Napa in a long time. This does bring back some memories, though. Nice pic!

I always find it difficult to see things like this when "chimping", but I might have been tempted to re-aim and frame the shot differently after seeing this pic on the display. It looks like you could maybe turn a bit to the right, thereby lessening the contrast-difficult areas on the outer extremes (light and dark), also reducing the foreground clutter (which doesn't add much to the pic), and increasing the presence of the willow tree (which has some nice depth). Just a thought -- not unlike what I think of my own shots after I see them when I get home (woulda-shoulda-coulda).

5. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Oops...

forgot to tell ya, that I had a CP on the front of the lens. Probably responsible for some of the intense colors (in addition to the fact that the colors WERE really intense there).

6. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Hi Pat. no not under exposed. it is a scene that does require some compensation. the default curve on the d2x is a little tight. this camera would benefit from a custom curve. here is one I did in CS. I don't have capture anymore or a d2x so I can't make one you can load.
    here is my d2x curve for the images ive played with. loaded curve than applied a soft light contrast layer at 25%.
    original.

7. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    That's really cool. Thanks for the input.

8. Hi Pat,

I guess I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add that I like the colors that are mixed in the picture. It gives diversity but I'm thinking that maybe even a polarizer may have helped with the hot spot on the top left. Overall, very nice picture.

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    colour management:
    [​IMG]

10. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Iliah....

You've simply said "color management" 2x now. Please elaborate. I tried a bit, but maybe my CM stinks.

Do tell.

11. I think when he stated he had a "CP" in front of lens he meant a Circular Polarizer - I could be wrong.

12. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    What hot spot?
    original.

13. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    hey--

howd ya do that?

14. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Ater looking at here, I can see my patchwork is a little sloppy.
    Its a realy nice image btw.

15. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Re: hey--

I took a colorsample from the sky in a couple spots and brushed on the color in darken mode at 12% opacity. just kept passing over the area till i liked it. I could do better but would be more complex.

16. Re: hey--

Craig,

I will play with this picture for you in PS and fix the sky for you. I hope to have it posted for you here tomorrow. There are easy ways of fixing blown out skys and I will put some nice puffy clouds in it for you too. If this is okay with you. I will also give you the steps I took to acheive it.

I'm just too tired to work with it tonight.

Melissa

17. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Re: Iliah....

As simple as assigning AppleRGB and converting to sRGB. AppleRGB has gamma 1.8; and more suitable colour rendition (colour primaries) for this photo. We use synthetic colour spaces quite in a lot of cases correcting tonality and white balance. To start with, you can use my PowerOfGamma packs.

This is for pre-processing images with exposure problems.

Unpack; copy to colour profiles directory
    for XP: /Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color
    for Win2K: /WinNT/System32/spool/drivers/color

Open problematic image in PS
    Optionally convert to 16 bit
    Assign (Image > Mode > Assign Profile) one of those profiles
    Convert (Image > Mode > Convert > Convert to Profile) to regular sRGB/AdobeRGB/ProPhoto

http://www.pochtar.com/gamut_view/PowerOfGamma_sRGB.rar
    http://www.pochtar.com/gamut_view/PowerOfGamma_AdobeRGB.rar
    http://www.pochtar.com/gamut_view/PowerOfGamma_ProPhoto.rar

Un-pack tool can be found here:
    http://www.rarlabs.com/download.htm

We use similar, but much more flexible (and much slower) approach in CurveTherapy.

Using synthetic colour spaces to correct white balance problems is a bit more tricky :)

18. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Re: hey--

Cool. would like to see what you can do with it. if Pat doesn't mind.. :)
    I also have some that you may like to play with.

19. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks

for helping out.

20. Hi Pat,

Here is the picture I promised I would work on for you. Let me know if you like it and I will try to remember the steps I took to acheive it.

Melissa

Hi Pat, I reworked on this one for you. It looks better than the other one.
    Workflow is as follows. Pulled up your orig photo, chose Image>Adjustments>Selective Color>Whites with 'absolute' chosen. You use that adjustment to make the orig sky brighter and bluer and then I pulled up new cloud, used curves to brighten that new cloud up and then Menu>Selective>All, Edit Copy. Edit Paste your new cloud which will be on top of your picture, make a black mask and then use a white brush to paint away your picture underneath. Gosh, I hope I explained that right. There are so many ways to fix clouds and this is the second one.

Let me know if you like this one,

Melissa