1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First posted portrait

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by goatee, Sep 1, 2008.

1. This is the first portrait I've posted for critique. Shot with 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L. In my last job, I had free access to a fully stocked studio, so lit with a couple of Elinchrom heads, and some white foam core - I'll leave you to guess where!

2420618283_6d86485392_o.

2. Lighting and sharpness is dead on the money. She is pretty, would like to see her smiling. Post processing is perfect too, in my opinion. She appears to be leaning forward and to the side. There is a clothing bulge on the right viewers side of the photo, making her upper shoulder area look deformed. Still a nice photo.

3. Charlie, thanks for the comments! Yup - I only spotted the collar being stuck up after the shoot, but loved the shot so much, I learned to ignore it :smile:.

4. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    Great job Ed. One thing I noticed is the darkness under the eyes. Something I learned to observe because women have asked me many times to "correct" this in post processing, which is not easy. You could try to brighten a separate layer and blend it in. If she hasn't complained about that, you can just leave it be. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned.

5. The easiest way I've found of correcting eye shadows is as follows.

1. Use the colour picker to find a skin tone close to what it should be.
    2. Create a new layer, in lightness mode.
    3. Use a soft edged paintbrush to paint over the area in question

That works like a treat, and is easy to adjust - otherwise of course, there's the clone path, but I like this.

The reason I didn't touch this one, was that the shadows aren't bad, and I am pleased to say the only processing I did was some selective sharpening to hair, eyes, and necklace. Nothing else at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.