First "published" photo (no pay, but kinda neat)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DM Rosner, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DM Rosner

DM Rosner

Dec 13, 2006
    I've been posting my Photo a Day project on Flickr. Today someone asked permission to use one "pho-tog'ra-phy" (June 27) to accompany an article about new words being added to the dictionary. No pay, but it's the first time anyone's asked to use one of my photos, and they do provide credit and a link back to my photos. (Now all I need is someone who actually wants to pay for them--but hey, it's a start.)

You can find the story here:

http://upload.nowpublic.com/strange/dictionary-adds-new-words

Here's the shot:

2617502548_73639ec870_o.

2. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Dawn, note the second paragraph in the story: "It's interesting that they have people whose job it is study the usage patterns of these words, looking for the first sign of their use without quotation marks, essentially. As soon as "bling" becomes just bling, for example, they can add it to the lexicon. What a strange job." They are getting paid, why should you not get paid as well? They feel your photo has value, since they want to use it.

3. Congratulations on the publishing of one of your works!

Even you were not paid in $$ you received something in return... it feels good to know that someone 1) liked your image 2) wanted to use your image 3) asked for permission instead of just ripping it off the web.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    While it's great to be published...I would have asked for something. Does this mean they can you and transfer your image anywhere they feel?

5. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    that is pretty sweet Dawn

I am assuming there was no pay offered because it appears to be a blog and there are also 128 other images associated with that article

6. DM Rosner

DM Rosner

Dec 13, 2006
    No, they can't take it for any other use, and it appears with my copyright on it and a link back to the Flickr image. I retain all rights.

I agree, I'd love to be paid for my work. I hope to reach that point eventually, but for now it's nice to have someone think enough of the photo to wish to include it (with proper credit).

My first published article was printed for free in a newspaper, but it enabled me to get my first publishing credit, which then translated into future writing sales. Knowing that, I'm okay with this initial photo publication, since I'm not giving up any rights and the photo is credited and linked. It's a start.

Of course, if you know where I can find people who'd like to buy my photos, I'd be more than happy to accept payment. :biggrin:

7. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Congratulations.

I would ask for something. I would also get a piece of paper signed that states the specific rights granted to them and for how long. Even if it is $10, it establishes that you don't grant rights for free. You can't buy flash cards, get repairs, pay a mortgage, etc, with credit and a link back to your Flickr portfolio. And providing the work for free establishes that as the lowest price point you will accept for usage of your work. If anyone in the future asks you if you have ever allowed someone to use your work for free, you will be forced to tell them yes. Getting some money instead of nothing would permit you to say no. That is significant, even though it may not seem so right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  8. Haha this exact same thing happened to me, but they took it without permission. At least they linked me :smile:

Congrats man, feels good!

9. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Congratulations, Dawn! I have no experience with anything like this, so sorry I can't offer advice on receiving compensation - but like a few others have already expressed, it must feel great that someone stumbles upon your work and loves it! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.