First real try at panoramic photos (download warnign!)....

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by shadow, Nov 8, 2005.

1. I am extremely intrigued by panoramic photography. And after a few attempts at the pano's below, I tweaked the settings in AutoStitch (freeware) and got some results that were more acceptable.

Sorry for the very large post, and the size of the pictures. I didn't know how large or small in this case to make them for web posting. The old 600x400 version didn't really work for these.

The first ones are images of Marietta OH. Marietta is situated at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers and is a very old town (founded in 1788). Population of the city is roughly 12,000 or so. No really big sky scrapers, just a lot of hils and such.

HH%20pano%20small.

Wtown%20bridge%20pano%20small.

point%20pano%20small.

The last image of those three is the elementary school where my kids attend. When the town was first settled there was a large military fort located on that point where the Muskingum River flows into the Ohio.

THe last is the New River Gorge near Fayetteville West Virginia.

new%20river%20pano%20small.

All of these were shot with a D50, Sigma 24-70mm Tried to keep aperatures above f8. Tripod used for all.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for any input you can offer so I can improve the next time.

2. Neal,

NIce shots. I too like panorama's (I'll post one I just worked on in a new thread). They can be a lot of fun, frustration and satisfaction, all at the same time.

If you're using Photoshop CS, you might try to process them in LAB to reduce some of the haze you picked up (Chapter 2 in the Canyon Conundrum if I remember) and it could punch some of the colours if you wished. Just going through the book myself, and it can help sometimes with natural haze.

Lurking somewhere are the horizon police, they give tickets I understand for crooked horizons, middle of the picture horizons and other sins of the afflicted.:eek:

You might try raising or lowering the horizon line so it is closer to the top third or bottom third of the picture and,

Adjust the horizon line so that the world looks level. With landscapes this can be a challenge, since the real world is not 90 degree angles.

Hope you don't mind the comments. :smile:

Mark

3. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

I do not use Photoshop CS (way out of my price range). I am currently using RSE to process raw files into Tiffs and then use an old version of Photoshop Elements to do some USM and resizing and saving as Jpegs.

Handy info about the horizon line I appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind for the future. And yes with all of the hills we have around here it is very difficult to to keep things square and level. I try to make sure the tripod sits plumb and the camera is level and go from there. What mother nature does is what she does.

Useful input to hopefully have better results next time. THANKS!

4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Shadow,

Very nice panoramas. Its funny, l have been shooting so many panos lately, that my mindset is locked in pano mode.

I too forget about my horizons in my pans as well as my non-pano images :smile:

I really like the last pano with the bridge. Its great to scroll a large pan and then be suprised with what you see. Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC