First Rugby shots with Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D AS-S ED-IF

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Clivegriff, Apr 3, 2005.

1. After buying the above lens second hand in mid-week, I anxiously awaited Saturday's game to put it through its paces for action shots.

I'd already shot many stills and rejoiced in the advantages of good glass but I was curious as to exactly how fast shutter speeds I could expect.

The example below is from the resulting shoot during which the settings were...

Aperture priority; f/2.8; ISO 200; WB flash +2

PP in PSCS consisting mainly of crop and USM(100,1,0)

original.

Comments and critiques welcome.

2. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nice sharp shot of a goofy forward* Clive. It's a shame the ball isn't in the shot as well, but still a terrific shot for those who know the game!

I was going to say the skin tones were a bit pink, but then realized they're a bunch of poms who haven't seen the sun since that one day last summer. Or was it the summer before? :D :D

Neil
    * I played out on the wing and operated with the Monty Python motto of "Run away! Run away!"

3. Oh, picky, eh?

Here's a line-out with the ball in shot...

D'ya think number 4 (on the ground) has got his wife's stockings on?

I hear what you say about the skin tones. I thought they were OK but now I think you're right. There! I've said it!

I'm going to have a further play in PSCS and think again about the WB setting - a tip I picked up from DPR which I thought was serving me well, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks for your comments.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Nice action shots Clive.......wonderful color as well!! :) :) :) :) :)

6. Thanks, Bryan.

I was particularly pleased with the new lens' colour rendition.

7. Fun pictures all. You have definitely captured the action and done it well.

8. Thanks, Gordon. I'm really enjoying this new (to me) lens.

9. Told ya :p.

Little different feel from the Bigma, isn't it?

Let me know when you're ready to talk about your midrange zoom :twisted: .

10. Yep. And you were right.

Yes, indeed, but I missed the Bigma's reach on a couple of occasions.

Er...thanks...I think. The 80-200 will be my birthday present and I'll have to wait until Christmas for the mid-range zoom - unless something unmissable comes up in the meantime, of course! :lol: