First shot from the Alligator farm

Hi there I met Backdoctor and Harry B for afternoon and morning of shooting at the St. Augustine rookery, and sandwiched in between was a night of good friends, good wine and good cigars!
Wow is all I can say my head hurts from looking around at the hundreds if not thousands of birds at the farm I have hundreds of shots to go through yet.

The picture below is a Cattle egret in breeding plumage, I find these to be one of the most beautiful when in breeding plumage.
Taken with the D2X and the 70-200 VR with 1.4 tele
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You're killing me Mike. I was so sure that I was going to be able to join you guys and then a huge new project came in the door. :mad:

Beautiful shot. :smile:

Great shot!!! Yes, we are lucky to have such a wonderful place. Lot forward to meeting you Friday for the shuttle, Mike.

Cheers
Nancy

Mike,
That's a beauty. We have these birds all around here but I've never gotten one. I see many when I'm driving so can't stop. Someday I'll get to the Alligator Farm. It must be very special.

*groan* There's a bird rookery in St. Augustine? I was there about a month ago and didn't know one was nearby. Where is it located Mike?
That's a fine, mighty fine shot you have there!
Edit: Dear Mr. Google gave me the following:
From Lane's "A Birder's Guide To Florida"...

"South of St. Augustine, the better spots are along FL-A1A. Go south from Street A across the Bridge of Lions over the Matanzas River, and turn left on White Street (1.0 mile) to Lighthouse Park on Salt Run...

Nearby is the St. Augustine Alligator Farm (hours 9-5:30, on Mondays in summer open until 9). One of the most intriguing phenomenon you'll see anywhere occurs each afternoon as thousands of heron, egrets, and ibis return from a day of feeding in the salt marshes to their rookery in the lofty oaks along the nature trail. Breeeding starts in April and is finished by early June, but the rookery is active year round."

Jarrell

*groan* There's a bird rookery in St. Augustine? I was there about a month ago and didn't know one was nearby. Where is it located Mike?
That's a fine, mighty fine shot you have there!
Jarrell
It is right across the bridge from the historic section. That is too bad, it is in full swing right now. Now you know for next year.:wink: They have a website just google Alligator Farm and Zoological park, St Augustine.

Cheers
Nancy

Sweet shot Mike, the plummage is wonderful. The detail and the bokeh makes this bird stand out so great. Can't wait to see more as you get them posted.

WHOA! And with a 70-200 as well. THE CE I approach at the local swamp leave with the sense focus lock at 680mm. Nicely done - print large and display conspicuously

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom