1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First shot with new SB900

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Sauk, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    This is a quality flash. It is about the same size or a touch bigger then the 580EX II from Canon.

It is very easy to work, the controls are easy to use. I love the filters it comes with and the holder for it as well. Can someone explain to me what the different filters do?

It recycles very very quick.

The auto shut off is very nice when taking action shots.

This thing feels like something that is worth a lot.

Here is a boring shot lol

2766921616_b183548389_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. matthew,
    congrats on the 900
    i am eyeing one, as well
    perfect exposure of that sprite bottle

i can't wait to see more of your images

3. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    The filters are used to balance the color of the flash output with the ambient light. Flashes are set to close to daylight WB. For example, if you used the flash under tungsten lights, the ambient light will appear yellowish while the flashed light will be white. (provided your WB is set to daylight. If your WB is set to tungsten, the ambient light will be white, while the flashed light will appear blue)

By throwing the orange filter on the flash, you can now match the ambient and flashed light and create consist colors. Then its just a matter of adjusting the WB.

4. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Interesting...I've read that the communication between SB900 and camera (assuming it is either D3 or D700), automatically resets the WB to take account of the filter applied to the flash.

So what happens if the camera is already set to a different preset such as tungsten....does it simply apply the filter value to the preset WB? Which might mean you rethinking what you set the camera to in the first place.

Clever stuff.

5. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia

Clever stuff indeed! That's certainly what it sounds like. I don't have the 900, but that's what I gel my flash for. I hope this is a function that can be disabled. Color inconsistency doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.